Penn State Orvis Trident TLS Mid Flex, 8'6" 5 Wt

Millsertime

Millsertime

Late last year, I purchased subject rod from a co-worker for cheap. He obtained it when he went to Penn State (early 2000's) and took up fly fishing as one his classes. I've fished the rod 3 times now, all with WF lines.

First I fished it with the original 5 wt Wonderline on the Battenkill reel that it came with. I had a hard time feeling the rod load with that line.

Second, I fished it with Rio Grand 4 wt line. Didn't load well.

Third, I fished it with SA Mastery GPX 5 wt line. Didn't load well.

Next I will try 6wt Rio Trout I have on a different reel. I realize not everybody likes the same type of rods out there and what loads well for me may be hated by you.

I'm curious if anybody else has this rod or has fished it and what their opinions are and what lines they preferred. It's a nice looking rod and very light for being about 15 years old but it's on the verge of being let go. Thanks.

I am not familiar with that rod. I would think the 5wt GPX would do it.

I sent you a PM.

I fished with a few TLS rods back when they came out. Some were stiff, others almost medium action. It should have a flex # - that's the bigger indicator of how to line Orvis rods from a decade+ ago.

Millsertime wrote:
Late last year, I purchased subject rod from a co-worker for cheap. He obtained it when he went to Penn State (early 2000's) and took up fly fishing as one his classes. I've fished the rod 3 times now, all with WF lines.

First I fished it with the original 5 wt Wonderline on the Battenkill reel that it came with. I had a hard time feeling the rod load with that line.

Second, I fished it with Rio Grand 4 wt line. Didn't load well.

Third, I fished it with SA Mastery GPX 5 wt line. Didn't load well.

Next I will try 6wt Rio Trout I have on a different reel. I realize not everybody likes the same type of rods out there and what loads well for me may be hated by you.

If by "Didn't load well" you mean that it felt like it didn't flex enough with the rated 5 wt line, then go up a line weight to a 6 wt line.

Because if it's not bending enough, you need a HEAVIER line to make it bend more.

This is what is meant by the term "over-lining."

A 4 wt line would obviously not work in that situation as it is lighter than the 5 weight line.

CastingAcross wrote:

IIt should have a flex # - that's the bigger indicator of how to line Orvis rods from a decade+ ago.

That 6.5 would be a medium. If memory serves, that's about as "slow" as anything Orvis made apart from the Superfine series.

Not to be presumptuous, but if you're used to faster rods that might be the crux of the issue. The taper of the 1st gen Wonderline should be a good match for that rod, so I'd suggest playing around with your stroke to see if you can find the rod's "sweet spot."

I realize not everybody likes the same type of rods out there and what loads well for me may be hated by you.

Aside from this TLS, what rods are you used to casting? Does it feel underlined at all distances? Have you gotten anyone else's opinion on the rod? (Had them cast it in person?)

IMO, there are very few 5wt rods that won't load with a 5wt GPX and an early 2000's Orvis TLS is not one of them. GPX lines are SA's answer to the perceived need to have overweight lines for "modern" rods. In fact, a lot of 5wt rods feel over lined with a GPX.

that rod cast a dt or wf 5 line nice, when I was at orvis casted a lot of the TLS rods. no need to over or under weight.

I have two 8'6" IM6 Winston rods in 5 and 6 wt that will cast OK with a WF line but just feel better with a DT. However I never tried a newer taper line such as a GPX on them.

The rod probably isn't a good fit for you. You tried a pretty wide range of lines.

I cast it a long time ago with a wf5f line and I thought it cast well.

Glad to hear some others have enjoyed using the TLS in years past. I would agree with you that said I need to give it more time since it isn't currently a good fit for me. I typically use the same wt line that matches the rod except I overline my 7' 3wt brookie rod.

Majority of my rods are moderate-Fast. TFO, MXH homebuilds, Orvis, and Sage.

I felt the TLS just didn't have that "bend" during the backcast. I felt like I couldn't "feel" it well. Could also be that I've been fishing it in winter temperatures. I'll try my 6 wt line in the near future and I think i have some 5 wt DT Cortland laying around somewhere also.

Bottom line: This rod isn't the style I'm use to but with time we'll warm up to eachother.

Good luck on this one.
I bought that same rod some years ago, used for $50. I thought it wold make a decent backup, loaner. teaching teaching tool.
I hated it and ended up giving it to a friend.
At the time, it cast best for me with a standard Rio Classic Trout.
The rod could have used and extra guide or two as the line does not go smoothly through the guides.
My friend now fishes my old St Croix Avid and says its night and day in terms of smoothness and castibility. His loops look much better with the Avid.

dano wrote:
Good luck on this one.
I bought that same rod some years ago, used for $50. I thought it wold make a decent backup, loaner. teaching teaching tool.
I hated it and ended up giving it to a friend.

I've only ever sold one rod because I truly hated it, and that was an Orvis TLS. If I used the line weight indicated, it cast well in the 25-35 foot range, but very poorly outside that range. If I overloaded the rod by one line weight, it cast comfortably in 15-25 foot range, and not at all much past that. If I underlined by one weight, I couldn't cast it at all until I had at least 30 feet of line out.

I've acquired a gawd-awful number of rod over 50+ years, from very slow action glass and cane to very fast action carbon, and like all of them under some circumstances. Except the TLS.

Sounds like someone's got a new tomato stake for the garden.

krayfish2 wrote:
Sounds like someone's got a new tomato stake for the garden.

There's always Ebay.

The same model is on auction there right now and the bidding is up to $118.50, so far, with about 6 hours to go, so the final price will probably be higher.

Different people have different casting styles, so prefer different fly rods.

This rod may seem bad to some people, but be just the ticket for someone else.

Back