Penn Gold Medal Fly rod

D

done707

Hi Folks,

I have been offered a new Penn fly rod by someone who said make me an offer. Won't say what he wants for it.
It is an 9ft 4 peice for an 8wt. This is a new in the padded tube with tags still hanging. I was told it is a med. action rod.
Can anyone give me an idea of what this rod is worth based on the limited info I gave??

Thank You,

Mickey

Here is an overseas store. Price in Lira??

Here is another site about halfway down the page that says they are under $200.

I've never seen one. I'd offer $100 or so depending on the hardware quality. maybe a little more.

How did he come to own it? gift, bought it? Inheritance? That may play a role in the price I'd pay if he was a friend.

Then again, first I'd cast it and see if I even liked it.

Maurice

Dear Mickey,

Give Bass Pro Shops in Harrisburg a call and ask them if they can tell you what they sold for new. The fly rods and reels were discontinued about 3 or 4 years ago but I remember that BPS handled them.

I tried looking through old catalogs but so far I haven't found the Penn Gold Medal fly rods listed in any of them. I do recall that they sold for around $ 300.00 or so. They had a good reputation and were quite popular with saltwater fly rodders but they pretty much got lost in the shuffle when Penn moved all production off-shore.

I did find a new one listed for $ 159.00 at this place, but I seriously doubt it's a made in the USA model rod. You might want to call them to see if you can find out what an old one is worth, they list a toll free number at the top of the page.

http://www.striper.com/pages/tackle.html

The British stores have the Penn Gold Medals for about 60 pounds which would put them in the $ 150.00 range. The stores whose listings I read said they used to sell for 275 pounds!

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Maurice and Tim,

Thank you both for taking the time to respond. I think I'll offer $125.00 and see what happens. If I get it, I'll then need to ask where and what I should use this rod for. My plans are to try and learn how and where to fish in the Susq. river for bass. I know about Bob Clouser, just not sure I want to know that bad($) to have his instructions. I'm retiring in June 07 and will have the time to figure it out myself I hope.

Thanks again,

Mick

done707 wrote:
My plans are to try and learn how and where to fish in the Susq. river for bass. I know about Bob Clouser, just not sure I want to know that bad($) to have his instructions.

If you live in the area, DO stop in to his shop and talk fishing with him. Bob Clouser is one of the most approachable guys you'll meet and he just loves fishing. He'll talk with anyone about fishing. You don't have to spend thousands of dollars in his shop or hire him out. I think he just likes speaking with nice people about his greatest passion in life (after, I suppose his family). :) One thing I think you'll really appreciate is that he keeps everything sooo simple. And if he offers to show you how to cast, take him up on it. He can teach anyone how to add distance and accuracy. And if you have never cast a flyrod, he can get you going in just a few minutes. He's an unbelievable teacher.

He's got a new book out on smallmout bass fishing that is excellent. Take a good look at that also.

Padraic

PADRAIC,

I stoped by Bass Pro in Harrisburg yesterday and bought a copy of Bob Clouser's smallmouth book. On top of that, the person who waited on me at the store was none other the Bob Clouser Jr.
What a quality guy, we spent about 10 min. just talking about all types of fly fishing. The book was signed by Bob Clouser and I had Bobby Jr. sign under his picture in the book also. I gues I'll call that the "Catch of the day"
Looking forward to fishing the river for bass. I plan on talking with Bobby about a guided trip later in the summer.
Thanks,

Mick

Notice to subject of a Penn Gold Metal fly rod. I own an early series of this rod and have fly fished for near 40 years plus. I purchased this rod in 1995 and the price tag was about $850.00 then. Being a NW fly fisherman you do not see these rods at all, and if I was to make a choice of all rods through out our country, I would match It to the most of superior rods on the market

Back