peeking caddis

C

country52

What range of sizes do you stay in when you tie a peeking caddis?
I was going to tie some on a 14 or 16, but I'm seeing a lot of videos of guys using a 10 or 12.

My preference is a 14 2xl hook but I have them tied in a variety of sizes including a few in 12 & 16.

I like them on a #12

Attachments

• IMG_4184.JPG
    IMG_4184.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 2
IceCasedCaddis_zps95ba4cb4.jpg

that is a great fly norm..

Do the actual caddis cases vary in size or are they all pretty close to the same for each specific hatch?

they will vary in size and color to the specific streams, though a general pattern works to.

By general do you mean a caddis larvae without the case?

I sample a stream with my high school kids that is never more than 5-7 feet wide and we consistently find at least 4 different caddis species. Some are as small as size 22 to as large as size 4. Colors range from orangish-brown to greyish to olive colored.

Caught these hold overs 2 weeks or so ago. landed 2 on it an lost 2, missed a few others.

These are size 10, with a 3.3mm tung bead. Fished them as anchor flies with a Pheasantail, Hares ear, or Walt's worm.

I have tied them in 14. There was a post on them I had put up earlier in the year. with a lot of good info as well.

I like to use grey squirrel as the dubbing, Hungarian partridge as the hackle, gold rib, and ultra chenille for the "peeping/peeking" part. tons of variations. I will by tying the up with a pheasant body next.

I call them peeping caddis's tough ;)

Attachments

• 20142.jpg
    20142.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 2014bow.jpg
    2014bow.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 4
  • caddis.jpg
    caddis.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 3
Stroup wrote:
I like them on a #12

Stroup,
I like that fly and tie them similarly.
Curious - why the scud hook? Would you use a 14 standard shank length hook, or still a 12?

By general do you mean a caddis larvae without the case?

by general I mean cream or green head with dubbing for the case.

Here is a giant from Bob's Creek. The caddis had to be an inch long inside.

I like to grind up feather remnants and a couple different dubbings and feed it into a dubbing loop to get a choppy sticky look.

Attachments

• IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 5
http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx94/flyangler/IMG_0262_zps167c8d91.jpg

Sorry for this. It's not taking my photobucket URL's

I fish bobs creek on occasion, but to be honest I have never used a caddis pattern there. I kill trout on yellow creek using caddis larva imitations though.

Back