Peacock Herl

just_jon

just_jon

Looking for a source of high quality pecock herl, specifically ones with longer barbules. I looked locally, but everything is too sparce and short for my liking. They would certainly work well on midges and small pheasant tails, but not the #12 and #14 royal wulffs I need to get started on. thank you in advance.

Troutline has some good herl if you can find a source with old birds those give the best herl

Might be able to find a couple in a craft store.

This certainly isn't an answer to your problem, but having a source for materials you need that is owned or run by REALLY GOOD or NOTED fly tiers is a huge help in sourcing quality materials.

Most fly shops are staffed by hacks like me and they just order materials from the big distributors and hang it on hooks awaiting orders. The little shops run by tiers who know their stuff are like fine dining restaurants where the chef sources the ingredients and refuses goods that don't make THEIR grade.

Before they passed, I use to buy all of my quills directly from Don Bastian and all of my hair from Chris Helm. I also had knowledgeable folks who would do the same for me with neck hackle. While it was a fortunate luxury having these guys choose for me, what I got was always what I wanted and then some, not to mention having someone I could talk when I had questions.

Short of that or driving around to 20 fly shops, I would look at photos of some of the FINE examples of salmon flies and other beautiful work done specifically with peacock herl by folks on this board and message them directly for a source. I might also try doing the same thing on The Fly Tying Forum.

The last suggestion I can offer is one I live by, when you find what you want... don't buy just one package... ;)

Good luck!

I try to remember to label where I got materials from on the package. So If I want to reorder or locate the source, I know where I got it from.

A LOT of the distributors print labels for the fly shops when they fill their orders with the name of the fly shop at the top. You wouldn't notice unless you look closely at the top of the package label.

It's good to remember where you got stuff, however just like buying groceries, there is no guarantee the shop will continue to stock certain items of have the same quality the next time around.

Back