Patterns for PA and Other Questions

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

Looking for good patterns for BWO, hendricksons including their emerger type. I'm looking for the eastern types (central PA). Also, when I do dubbing, I wet my fingers with my mouth to get some traction with the dubbing material. That can't be good for you. When I tied a lot in the past I used a damp sponge. Anyone have ideas? Thanks in advance.

Gene

MD_Gene,

Save your spit and use wax on the thread. There are a number of commercial fly tying waxes, but I don't use them. I bought a wax toilet ring at Sears Hardware for a whopping $1.47. Enough wax to last 500 years. I put it in a lip balm dispenser. I previously used Overton's wonder wax, which hasn't been available for years. I recently heard that Overton was a plumber by trade. If so, what a coincidence.

bwofly.jpg

Hey Gene, I tied this bwo with white cdc because it's easier for me to see in the smaller sizes.
Tails: hackle barbs
Abdomen: Quill
Wing/thorax: cdc
It sits very low in the water and has really worked for me. The one pictured is a size 18. Have you been to a tying night with WCFF lately?Is it still on tue. night? Jack

Wow, Jack! Thanks for the o. No, I have not been to a WCFF tying evening. I moved to the Balt/DC area in 2004.
I assume you use olive green dubbing You are the "tying man"/ When some of the best tyers I know, refer to your flies as WORLD CLASS that means something/ I am referring to Tom L who you met on Penns when my name came up as a mutual friend.

I don't know what to say to that Gene, I've been humbled.You told me that you moved and I forgot I do apologize for that. The body is quill, if you left click on the pic it will biggie size and you can see it better. You know I've never fished that pinkish/orange/creamy colored stonefly he gave me cause I did not want to lose it before I copied it.( He said it's a killer) Please if you see him tell him I said hello. I'm in the middle of redoing my stone box and now have that one covered. Hope the fly works for ya.

outsider wrote:
MD_Gene,

Save your spit and use wax on the thread. There are a number of commercial fly tying waxes, but I don't use them. I bought a wax toilet ring at Sears Hardware for a whopping $1.47. Enough wax to last 500 years. I put it in a lip balm dispenser. I previously used Overton's wonder wax, which hasn't been available for years. I recently heard that Overton was a plumber by trade. If so, what a coincidence.

Oh no! You were supposed to put it into the lip balm containers and sell it for $3 each :)
Seriously, Outsider is right about this. I have Overtons, and have spent a lot of time trying to come up with a home made dubbing wax that I like. Outsider was nice enough to give me a a large sample of the wax he mentions and it is nearly as good. I don't put this type of wax on the thread for normal dubbing, I just use a bit on my finger tips to add some traction.
The pattern lv2nymph posted is similar to one I use a lot. Only difference being that I tie it with a loop wing (probably not very important). It works really well. Oddly, I have had good luck with that fly when the fish are on caddis (don't ask why I tried that).
Mike.

I use 2flies for BWO's compara dun, and what I call the Big Spring Baetis. I also carry a couple dozen different sizes of rusty spinners so I always have the right one when the spinners fall.

Same pattern just tweak it with a few things. I sometimes like the cdc pattern above on an emerger hook. I tie my standard dries with a hairwing. The quills look awesome but to me dubbing is easier. I don't come into too many bwo hatches in my part of the state though so take my advise with a grain of salt.

FrequentTyer wrote:
...I have Overtons, and have spent a lot of time trying to come up with a home made dubbing wax that I like.
Mike.

Mike -

I have some of your home-made stuff from last year's tying Jam, and absolutely love it. I bought some UTC wax when I was first grabbing some materials at the fly shop, and I don't find it the least bit effective. Ben was tying last night and going to use the spit-on-the-finger trick, and I made him use some of your mix. I was thinking that I need to ask you if I can buy some more!

I know I am not the most experienced guy, but I know what I like, and your stuff is spot on.

Paul

hack wrote:
FrequentTyer wrote:
...I have Overtons, and have spent a lot of time trying to come up with a home made dubbing wax that I like.
Mike.

Mike -

I have some of your home-made stuff from last year's tying Jam, and absolutely love it. I bought some UTC wax when I was first grabbing some materials at the fly shop, and I don't find it the least bit effective. Ben was tying last night and going to use the spit-on-the-finger trick, and I made him use some of your mix. I was thinking that I need to ask you if I can buy some more!

I know I am not the most experienced guy, but I know what I like, and your stuff is spot on.

Paul

Thanks Paul, I'm glad you like it. I don't sell any wax (at least not to friends :) ) I think I still have a few packs I made up for the latest tying jam. PM your address and I'll get some to you.
Mike.

Back