Patching up your rod tube

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

There are a few rods in my collection that I just wont part with, ever. Those rods are special to ME for whatever reason and they really bring me great joy in fishing with them. I like rods with Personality and feel. It also has to be functional and really excel at what my intentions are, but then a thought occurred to me.
You get this rod you truly value but then throw it in an old rod tube.

"The rod was actually started By Vince Cummings,I can provide you with a picture of the rod in the pile of materials when received.
The Only part of the rod that was done by Vince was the Grip had been turned and that was all,I have left the original grip in place as received,if you like I can clean and fill the grip,of course at no additional cost.
Personally thought it was better left in it's original condition. "

The rod maker whom owned this rod had purchased during the estate sale of Vince Cummings flyshop. Andy can only surmise that this was just one of those rods he started but never completed. I own 3 Vince Cummings rods now and he was by far my favorite custom rod builder. Having known people that knew him personally, I love all the stories I hear about him. Great fisherman too. I like to think he is tickled pink that the dusty old thing in the corner of his shop, the rod that watched the master for years and saw rod after rod go out the door to go be enjoyed finally found its calling; coming a river rod and one of my very favorite rods ever.

Andy finished the rod and balanced to rod to the weight of my reel with the removable rod butts by adding weight in them. 1 butt is long and is tapered exactly to the blank. When the second handle is in this rod is powerful and can cast 10wt WF. This makes it at great hairbug bass rod but also a great Muskie rod for the River. It is also a streamer fishermans dream in this config. Works great with a DT8 and sink tips. The smaller stubby butt doesn't go into the blank as far. When this is in the rod is a superior smallmouth popper rod. Tosses DT8 like a dream.
With no butts in it can toss a DT7 and could fish long leadered dryflies to larger river trout.
The rod is amazing.
The rod was named the" Susquehanna Special"

When Andy shipped me the rod, it came in a long piece of square brown plastic drain pipe with Cedar Endcaps glossed and pinned &
Brass Hinged and Latched. Certainly a very cool rod tube but I want to jazz it up. Especially since Its an American rolled fiberglass fly rod blank by JF Fisher, partly built by the Master of Glass himeslf American Rod builder Vince Cummings and left to be the rod that dreamed and finished by OYRS who was an fantastic American rod builder himself.

So...

I had been collecting these for sometime, but i got a few more just to finish this one project. To me this rod is special, not just because its rare, unique and useful but it also has a story........
I wrapped the tube in black para chord. I then adorned the tube with all kinds of PA Game and Fish, Boyscout and the Susquehanna Waterfowlers patches as they relate to the River.
I think Im going to do my Hardy Rods like this too......

41241015880_791d48d0bb_b.jpg

42332768504_1a5b6834a3_b.jpg

43051253331_9b26c9b3fa_b.jpg

28182470477_af4282026a_b.jpg

28182474097_1026c7f2c4_b.jpg

41240901080_54cc8951af_b.jpg

29179490878_79b69245e2_b.jpg

43001337172_fd4abfe541_b.jpg

28182493687_4c10851aa9_b.jpg

42149024935_9700b22381_b.jpg

43001258722_3fa13be4c2_b.jpg

43051222051_7889a8ca93_b.jpg

29179455628_519f6a8421_b.jpg

41240869820_a4d039776c_b.jpg

43001282352_be7b481fbb_b.jpg

28182431747_dd997f2eee_b.jpg

You get the idea.
You guys with circular tubes would have an easier time with this, The square part made it hard. All the patches are ironed and glued. They wont come off. I got a long plastic sleeve to protect them during storage.

We are lucky we still have game commissions that spoil us with stupid stuff ;-)

Woah, that’s amazing. Awesome idea, and it looks great. I especially like the Susquehanna and Shad patches.

Thanks!
I love it.

But let me tell you how this thing can huck a 8wt with sinktips & shooting heads, really slowly. ;-)
Its a fun fun rod with smallmouth!

Sweet, nice job!!

I have some old patches from my fishing vest days: TGF, TU, FFF, FAOL, PLAY (PA League of Angling Youth)... that are held with magnets on my man cave beer fridge.

I like your idea better.

I have a metal case and if I travel I usually stop in a local fly shop to do some browsing, buy a few flies or other gear and get some info on local stream conditions hatches etc. I also buy a decal for the rod case that lets me remember my trip. Over the past 25-30 year I have accumulated patches from CO,WY, MT, ID, TN, MA, NY, CANADA and quite a few from PA. Most are worn are barely readable. I like your idea and much more durable.

I like patches and stickers but have never put them on rod tubes (perhaps because my tubes are mostly beat-up PVC pipe). I do have stickers on my trunk gear box and stripping basket and some patches on my old beat up fishing vest.

Rod tubes make a neat place to display surplus stickers and patches. Neat idea.

That is a great use of patches. Did you glue the paracord or just wrap it tight and pour hot water on it to cinch it up tight? I might have to start collecting a few.

That is really a cool idea.

(There are those of us out here who would never come up with such a nice idea, nor are we (I) handy enough to complete such a project.)

Poopdeck,

I have an unusually strong grip from pouring iron. I putmy feet on the tube against a wall. Pulled with my hands and pushed with my feet. About every 12 inches of wrap got a dab of glue.
and of course glue at both ends.No hot water.

Back