Patagonia Hybrid Pack Vest

salmonoid

salmonoid

Anyone own one or used one in the past? Good, bad, ugly? The prior year model seems to be on clearance and while I don't need yet another pack type thingie to haul stuff around, I haven't found the Holy Grail of pack type thingies either and this looks intriguing to me.

Questions I can't find answers to:

1) What is different between the Small and Large sizes? I found that one ways 13.7oz and the other 1lb, 3 oz, but that is it.
2) What is different between the closeout version and the current version? Color is the only visible thing I can see..

I have one in a "small", which fits more like a medium. As far as vests, its great. I've just come to prefer my Richardson. If you're up in the Mechanicsburg-Harrisburg area soon I'll let you check it out. I'm looking to rehome it.

The grail eludes me too, and I continue to buy and try new things. I’m happy with them for a little while, but eventually their compromises begin to wear on me. Functionally and comfort wise I like slings. While they hold all my fishing gear and perhaps a snack perfectly fine, I find more often than not now I’m out for a whole day of fishing/hiking and want to pack a lunch, drinks, and a lot of times I layer and like to be able to shed a layer or two when needed. A classic backpack fits these needs better, but isn’t as convenient while actually fishing as a sling.

I too have looked at some of the hybrid vest/backpack options as a potential best of both worlds solution. Fishing gear in the vest pouches up front for convenience, with the full size of a backpack for extended day trips and hiking. Main downside is generally price…these are expensive. Here is my leading contender with a $150 sticker price:

LLBean Kennebec Switch Pack

My main concern with this is whether the weight in the front pouches will pull on your shoulders after a day of fishing…this is why I’ll never own another classic vest.

Code:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/76464? ... tch-pack&attrValue_0=Dark Olive&productId=1262145

My main concern with this is whether the weight in the front pouches will pull on your shoulders after a day of fishing…this is why I’ll never own another classic vest.

That's a great pack with a lot of range for adjustments. You can't tell from the pictures but the two front pouches zip together so they securely fit to the shoulder straps. Lots of tightening straps throughout the waist and shoulder straps to get a great fit.

I bought that Kennebec Switch Pack when it first came out and sent it back the same day I think. Don't remember all the reasons I didn't like it but it wasn't all that easy to switch the pockets from rear to front, it seemed overly large and had all sorts of excess straps everywhere, the backpack storage was nothing great and in the end when you moved the pockets to the front it was basically a vest. I don't think someone who fishes had anything to do with the design and I am surprised they are still selling it.

Back