Patagonia Deep Wading Jacket

stevehalupka

stevehalupka

Im torn w. this jacket...

it's light, short, and short on pocket space.

do any of you own this and have anything good to say about it?

I have no experience with this jacket but I noticed it for sale on this site:

http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverShopping/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=4

I say go for it!

i think my latest version of their SST jacket is short and the deep wading jacket is even shorter, that said, patagonia makes the best stuff out there so you'll be getting a breathable waterproof piece of equipment for years. I'd say go for it, especially at $150 on their website, and maybe plan on getting a winter shell in time so the deep wating jacket will be a three season jacket and get another for the winter when you wade less and length / pocket space is more important. BTW - act quick if you do get it because they sell quick when on sale like that.

i am sure it is a good jacket but still not gore tex which in my opinion is the best waterproof material out there , the cloudveil gore tex is 150.00 also . nylon face material doesn't hold up to the jaggers and abuse that gore tex does either , good luck whatever u decide

well, from what I hear, c-veil is done with their fly fishing line.. in the event i need a return, i'm not dealing with it.

i have purchased the jacket from gonia already, and pathetically, it's lighter than my 50 dollar cabelas jacket. It looks prime for wet wading for natives.. i just don't get it.. a short jacket for high flows, when the majority of high flows are during cold spells.

i guess my underarmor and capiline will provide sufficient insulation, but this pocket ordeal is really getting to me.

i could really use the 150 for other equipment... blah

Yes Cloudveil is out of the fly fishing gear business, they were acquired by Spyder sometime this past year I believe. Sucks, they made some good stuff.

A light jacket is a good thing IMHO, you can get more use out of it year round if you layer appropriately. I wouldn't sweat that aspect of it, nor would I sweat durability/performance from Patagonia. If if it fails, they'll take care of you.

Pockets and or functionality would be more of concern IMHO. If you don't like the features the jacket provides and can use more gear, then return it. The LL Bean Emerger II jacket is less money and looks to have more pockets. Solid reviews and Bean guarantee.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63711?page=emerger-ii-wading-jacket

I have the emerger II and like it.

CV is not out of Fly fishing
they are taking a year off to "re-evaluate" the fishing line... mainly the poor construction and inconstant quality of the waders and boots
When the brand was sold, the returns overwellming

CV is NOT currently owned by Spyder
They were sold to fila in 05... sold to spyder in 08... and this year sold to Windsong Brands
Spyder is still handling all returns on products they produced

i'm a fan of goretex pro-shell fabric
the patagucci is H2no- their in-house fabric

the deep wader is not the same jacket year to year
it was once just a shorter version of the SST
now with the guidewater jacket, it their "third tier" jacket
with less features and a lower price point

the one that is on-sale on the 'guccis site is a dated model
there are better options out there
$150 is hard to beat... but is too much for something you won't use

A company sold three times in five years, taking time off to "evaluate" issues might as well be out of the business.

If that's not the kiss of death, I don't know what is.

Certainly not what you would expect out of "high-end" company like Cloudveil.

I do wonder, aloud, where is all the Patagonia and Cloudveil stuff sold? West coast and international? I've been to a lot of streams and shops on the East coast and don't really see either of these companies supported. The Patagonia I have is the wifes waders which were bought for pennies on the dollar at STP.

the emerger II si owned by 2 frienda and my father... i just can't bring myself to purchase it... but i will agree for the price, it's a killer jacket.

I'll hash it out w. in the next few days I guess.

I would hardly call CV "out of business"... fishing is a very small part of their business and was merely and add-on since they were in Jackson... the rest of their stuff is top of the line and sells/performs as good as anything else on the market

Its just that you can't make waders like you make ski pants

Same with patagucci... take a look at how small the fishing line plays into the entire company

who buys CV and patagucci? those who can afford it...
how many Simms G4Z sit in a closet and only get wet 3 times a year?

Ramcatt wrote:
I would hardly call CV "out of business"... fishing is a very small part of their business and was merely and add-on since they were in Jackson... the rest of their stuff is top of the line and sells/performs as good as anything else on the market

Its just that you can't make waders like you make ski pants

You're just re-inforcing the point, two more valid reasons to NOT buy their products.

Constantly sold and resold, "evaluating product issues," small part of overall business plan, and primary focus other goods.

If I need ski pants, I'll take a look at what CV and Patagonia provide, elsewise I'll stick with people who's stock in trade is the fishing field, or at least someone who might be lifestyle manufacturers, but will back it up (Bean).

who buys CV and patagucci? those who can afford it... how many Simms G4Z sit in a closet and only get wet 3 times a year?

I did not bring up price. Simms is just as, if not more, expensive than CV or Patagonia. My point was who on the East coast is a major distributor of either brand?

Went to CV site and it appears all their stuff is sold through their proprietary distribution systems. Was the FF stuff not sold in shops? I mean I can't tell right now as the only stuff being sold is the marginal quality stuff that is on clearance and forced them out of the fly fishing line of business.

Likewise, I am not aware of many fly shops stocking and selling Patagonia stuff.

Same with patagucci... take a look at how small the fishing line plays into the entire company

Patagonia is a solid, stable company with a great business model. Even through economic turmoil they have shown AMAZING sales growth that 99% of companies drool over. They are branching out in the fly fishing line as opposed to shutting it down.

actually, patagonia has sold fly fishing stuff for at least 25 years, I have a fishing vest from them I bought back in high school, it got constant use for about 20 years and STILL looks like new.
yes, thier stuff is exspensive, but if you want something that will last for decades, I think the money is worth it.

...small part of overall business plan, and primary focus other goods.
...I'll stick with people who's stock in trade is the fishing field, or at least someone who might be lifestyle manufacturers, but will back it up (Bean).

i hardly would consider LL bean to be a fly fishing focused company... their "lifestyle" is sweaters and polo shirts... compared to them, Orvis looks like a "core" company

i will say that Bean can back a good warranty on a bland featureless product... i've thought about it, and the only pair of waders i would buy from Bean are Simms (to utilize the Bean warranty)

you won't find CV and patagucci in local shops... its not their market
they're in destination locations selling a jacket and waders to people who don't think twice about dropping $1000 for outerwear to be used on a guided trip once a year... they offer pro-form to guides and shop employees who will sell full setups to their clients... there are not a lot of people planning their high end fishing vacations to PA

thats the same deal with simms G4Z... out side of pro-form, most of the people who buy those waders in your local fly shop are getting them for a destination trip... they walk into a shop and ask "what are your best waders?"

dude... pick one

Patagonia is a solid, stable company with a great business model...They are branching out in the fly fishing line

VS.

I do wonder, aloud, where is all the Patagonia and Cloudveil stuff sold? West coast and international? I've been to a lot of streams and shops on the East coast and don't really see either of these companies supported. The Patagonia I have is the wifes waders which were bought for pennies on the dollar at STP

Ramcatt wrote:
i hardly would consider LL bean to be a fly fishing focused company... their "lifestyle" is sweaters and polo shirts...

Your comprehension skills are in good shape, you CAN understand what I'm saying!

Ramcatt wrote:
you won't find CV and patagucci in local shops...

Man, I hope they're not paying you coz you're bad at this. So, poor product, bought and sold, "evaluating poor product," overpriced and now no local support.

Let me guess, you've GOT to work for Simms, I've never seen anyoe work so hard to sell me a Simms jacket in my life.

haha... not close

since you asked... i have a cloudveil wading jacket
and had CV waders and boots at one time... great materials, great design, great fit... poor construction

i still continue to support CV, just not in waders and boots...i'd buy another wading jacket in a heartbeat and really like their softshells and other jackets

qaanything made by patagonia is overprice junk...

gore tex a must in any wade jacket. I found a simms at burt about 3 years ago. still water proof

I agree with the Honorable Machine on the lack of Gor Tex. In this price range I want Gor Tex, though Simms has really let me down lately.

Ramcatt, what do you mean pick one? Those two statements are not mutually exclusive. Patagonia has been an incredibly performing company for years. They are expanding their stable fly fishing line. I do not know if they are sold on the West coast, online, through their own site or what, just stating I never see Patagonia in fly shops. My last statement was that I got a great pair of Patagonia waders at STP for pennies on the dollar. Which of these statements are contrary?

Back