Passing of a board member

wgmiller

wgmiller

A long time forum member unexpectedly passed away recently at a fairly young age. He was know on the forum as “PatrickC” and his real name was Patrick Campbell. Although not a PA resident, he was located in northeastern Ohio and frequented western PA waters and “Steelhead alley” quite often. He attended a number of jams, had his own guide business, and truly was a fishing junkie until he was sidelined by health problems.

226A023E B588 4E98 B3AB EC0B3C5380E0

https://www.tributearchive.com/obit...echanicsburg/ohio/vernon-family-funeral-homes

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. I recall the name. Funny thing, a post was recently made about fishing MI and I happen to look back at a post from a 10 years ago on MI and he had an informative response.

I fished with him once several years ago. Not as a customer, but as friend he never met. He knew I was going to a Steelhead jam and would be fishing with a couple seniors with physical limitations. Out of the goodness of his heart, he voluntarily took me around to several potential spots a week or so before the jam. There have been a lot of good people on this board, and he was one of them.

My prayers are out to him and family.

I never met the young man but am sorry to hear of his passing. Condolences to his family and friends.

Too young. Condolences to the family.

Patrick was a great guy and I was shocked to learn of his passing! I learned a lot from him on this and other web forums before I finally had the pleasure of running into him on a stream. I'm thankful that I had the opportunity to fish with him a bit on the steelhead tribs in Ohio. I last saw Patrick at a local(to me) western PA fly shop. He and a buddy of his were just checking it out after a successful day of small steam Brookie fishing up north of there. He was as full of energy as I've always remembered him. I wish I could have had one more opportunity to fish with him! R.I.P. Patrick...

Thanks for posting this Geo. I was hoping someone would-thought about doing it myself but some of you were far closer to him than I was. We only fished together once, though for years we exchanged FB private messages. Sometimes-our relationship was cantankerous, as we would have some heated debates. But in the last few years, we really bonded over the aquarium hobby, our love for good tobacco, and he was very supportive of my work once I was ordained and called to serve in WV. I too was shocked to learn he died.

Pat had a lot of different interests (wrestling, cigars, etc.), which allowed his friendship with others to extend beyond fishing. Others remained closer to him than I did through his latter years, such as Derek and Tim. I really only stayed in touch via Facebook, and lost touch over the past few years, as his health slipped away. It truly does serve as a stark reminder to live each day to the fullest and never to take anything for granted. To see a guy such as Pat, who was full of life and energy, have that slowly taken from him was a bit sobering.

831edit

This pic was taken by Derek back in 2013 on a steelhead trib (one of the mile creeks). The man was a machine when it came to fishing!

Pat had a lot of different interests (wrestling, cigars, etc.), which allowed his friendship with others to extend beyond fishing. Others remained closer to him than I did through his latter years, such as Derek and Tim. I really only stayed in touch via Facebook, and lost touch over the past few years, as his health slipped away. It truly does serve as a stark reminder to live each day to the fullest and never to take anything for granted. To see a guy such as Pat, who was full of life and energy, have that slowly taken from him was a bit sobering.

View attachment 1641227121
This pic was taken by Derek back in 2013 on a steelhead trib (one of the mile creeks). The man was a machine when it came to fishing!
it's true. Last time I got a message from him was on St Patrick's Day, as he made it his annual tradition to message me to say "Everyone is a little bit Irish on St Patrick's Day, except the Scots. We're still Scottish".
We then talked about pipe tobacco for about 25 minutes, as he was struggling to find 'baccies strong enough to satisfy his cigar pallet. I told him I'd send him a few tins of some strong English blends, but to my shame, I didn't.
He was also a great help to me in giving me his own personal opinion/advice when the pandemic hit. Being in the medical profession, he really helped me come up with some mitigation efforts as far as our church services were concerned. He was a good guy. Even in our most cantankerous debates, I always had a sense of mutual respect. Gonna miss hearing from him.

Sorry to read this. I, too, extend my sympathy to his family and friends.

Sad news. Thanks for posting this.

I never got to fish with him but recall fondly his appreciation for my art. One year at the jam he won my painting and was thrilled to send me a photo of it hanging in his office (I believe he was a physician?).

Sad news. Thanks for posting this.

I never got to fish with him but recall fondly his appreciation for my art. One year at the jam he won my painting and was thrilled to send me a photo of it hanging in his office (I believe he was a physician?).

Good memory. Yes, he was a podiatrist for a number of years, before having to leave the vocation due to health reasons.

I never fished with him, or met him that I recall. Maybe at a Jam in the early 2010’s, but I’m not certain.

I remember his posts though, and enjoyed them. And I remember a YouTube video he posted of him fishing/camping along Hammersley Fork and Boggs Hollow. I think it’s since been taken down as I can’t find it anymore, but it helped spawn my interest in backcountry hiking and FFing.

My condolences to his family, sounds like he was a first class guy.

My condolences. I did not know him well, but he helped me out with a chronic tendonitis issue in my ankles. I'd gotten incorrect medical advice, and he gave me the opposite advice on inserts and footwear to look for. It's really helped a ton!

Too young. He was a good guy.

Thanks wg. Gonna watch it again tonight.

I'm sorry to learn of his passing. Much to young. GG

Back