Partridge Hooks Flimsy?

F

fisherboy3

I recently bought a pack of size 18, Partridge Patriot Czech Nymph hooks. I took one out of the pack and put it in my vice. And it just seems so flimsy. I was thinking to use the hooks for small beadheads. But i cant imagine an 18-20 inch fish staying on the hook long because they are so thin. I broke one in the vice way too easily. Anyone ever use these?

Thanks,

Kevin

I don't recall ever having a problem with Partridge hooks but I'm not sure if I have ever used the specific size and style you're referring to.

I also had a partirdge klinkhammer x-treme hook in 18. They were so thin as well.

Yo fis

I have a mess of a wide variety of Partridge hooks. Decades ago, Orvis carried some under their label for dry flies, and I avoided using them for Western trouting. One of the Partridge models was 4XF and those hooks were very light. Before Gink and all the silicone pastes were invented/adapted for our sport, I thought these superlight hooks helped keep my dries floating longer. There weren't synthetic dubbings back then either, which compounded the floating problem.

When Tiemco came into the US, one of the selling points was the strength of their hooks made for better fishing fighting. The standard Mustad dry fly hook, 98480, was 1XF, while the 3XF was the 98433. I had some big wild trouts straighten those out.

Yea I just have a feeling a big wild trout will straighten these hooks right out.

If you have that feeling then they most likely will. I wouldn’t want to find out the wrong way

There's a Partridge Czech nymph CZ hook, which is heavy wire and a CZF, which is fine wire. I would stick to heavy wire hooks for nymphing.

Yep theres my mistake. I bought 2 packs of the CZ’s and one pack of the CZF. Didnt realize it. But still. They are so thin I wouldnt even use them to tie emergers. They would snap on a delaware fish no doubt.

Back