Paracord fly fishing projects?

wgmiller

wgmiller

Thankfully my oldest daughter quickly outgrew the rainbow loom rubber band fad and has moved on to paracording. As one can imagine, the number of projects that one could make with this versatile cord are virtually limitless. She's making basic bracelets now, but I can't help but believe there would be some application for fly fishing tackle.

That being said, is anyone aware of any paracord projects that would have carry over to fly fishing? The number of colors you can get the material in are almost limitless and there is a wide range of hardware you can "weave" in as well.

I made a tippet holder out of paracord and small caribeaners.

I assume that what you're talking about is parachute cord?

Anyway, I was always having trouble with the laces on my wading boots. They weren't lasting very long - maybe one season or so - before getting frayed and breaking at the eyelets. There was a thread about this on the forum, and somebody - I believe it was heritage angler - suggested replacing the laces with parachute cord.
So, I tried it. And it's definitely worth doing. I've replaced the laces on all of my wading boots now, and I've had no breaks since.

Yup! Parachute cord or "paracord". The weaves are endless as are the projects...

CIMG7723.jpg

Maybe she could make one of those lanyard/necklace things that hold fly fishing essentials.

13.jpg

This is from "Fly Fishing Women" but I'd wear a bracelet if it had a function. A few yrs ago a lot of guys were wearing those magnetic golf bracelets.

Attachments

• IMG_1584.jpg
    IMG_1584.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 7
wgmiller wrote:
Yup! Parachute cord or "paracord". The weaves are endless as are the projects...

CIMG7723.jpg

It is good to see a Spyderco....my personal favorite knife company and a damn fine factory produced pocketknife....I still carry the SAK most often though.

While on watch in Afghanistan we made a paracord hammock. It took 4 of us almost 50 hours to do. That should keep her busy for a while.

You could find an old wood landing net at a yard sale that is missing it's netting. And she could try to make the netting with paracord. That would be a challenge.

+1 on the tippet spool holder. I made one from paracord, a carabiner, and one of those drawstring tightener thingers that I found in the camping section of a Walmart. I need to look into a fishing lanyard. Might be handy.

I made a lanyard. Used extra large swivels and a small carabineer at the end.

Don

This guy makes some cool lanyards with paracord. My wife just got in to paracord too, so I'm having her make me one :)
scott smith lanyards

Here's the paracord lanyard my wife made for me. This thing is pretty sweet!

Attachments

• IMG_20140807_105152~2_20140807175106909.jpg
    IMG_20140807_105152~2_20140807175106909.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 6
I'd pay good money for the Fly Drying bracelet. That'd be quite handy. Probably pick up a few for friends too.

Here is a video on how to make slinkies with paracord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGiSccbXiys

No one knows about that paracord bracelet with the foam in it?
I tried looking up the website in the photo details to no avail.

I just have no idea where to get the foam or I'd have my coworker make it. I was thinking pipe insulation foam but the stuff in the picture looks more dense.

Alan, Go here:
http://www.theflyfishingwoman.com/2012/07/31/fly-fishing-paracord-bracelet/

Yep just found it after I posted and emailed her! Thanks!

Back