Parachute Post

fritzer

fritzer

May use magnetic cup hooks to anchor to vise. Loop appropriate rubber bands for proper tensioning.

Attachments

• Gallows (1).JPG
    Gallows (1).JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Gallows (2).jpg
    Gallows (2).jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Gallows (3).jpg
    Gallows (3).jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Gallows (4).JPG
    Gallows (4).JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 60
I thought about acquiring a gallows tool. However if you "firm up" the post properly with thread wraps it is unnecessary. It would be helpful with Hackle Stacker type flies where hackle is wrapped a number of times up and down on a wispy post of mono. With Hackle Stacker type flies I have learned the finger memory to pass the hackle feather from hand to hand. It requires a very soft touch. fritzers method can be helpful for some tiers.

Last edited:
i don’t know why this is necessary. never had a problem with parachute posts.

or this

183-uv-resin-parachute-post.jpg

A drop of super glue on your bodkin then spread onto your thread before wrapping the post works well to keep it neat and tight. With proper thread tension, no other side are necessary. Practice makes perfect. Although I'm not quite there myself yet.

I thought about acquiring a gallows tool. However if you "firm up" the post properly with thread wraps it is unnecessary. It would be helpful with Hackle Stacker type flies where hackle is wrapped a number of times up and down on a wispy post of mono. With Hackle Stacker type flies I have learned the finger memory to pass the hackle feather from hand to hand. It requires a very soft touch. fritzers method can be helpful for some tiers.
I tie a lot of hacklestackers. I make a double loop of the tying thread as the "post" and keep my left index finger in the loop. I can then pass the hackle from my right hand to the thumb/middle of my left hand as I wrap.

Back