parachute dry question

S

SteveG

What does everyone recommend for hackle length on parachutes? I'm prepping for my resolution of fishing more dries.

1 1/2 to 2 times the hook gap.

I usually mount the wing a bit further back than some tyers, about 1/3 shank from the eye. I select hackle which will just reach the end of the abdomen...or thereabouts.

EricK wrote:
I usually mount the wing a bit further back than some tyers, about 1/3 shank from the eye. I select hackle which will just reach the end of the abdomen...or thereabouts.

I also like to tie the post about 1/3 of the shank behind the eye.

I use one size longer hackle for parachutes. In other words, a size 14 parachute would have a size 12 hackle if you use a hackle gauge or buy the 100's packaged by size. The hook is my hackle gauge, so for hackle length I like 1 1/2x gape for Catskill type flies and 2x the gape for parachutes.

I also go a size laeger on my hackle gauge. I find if I use hackle that's too small, my parachutes don't always land right side up when I cast.

Here's a video I made to help with some questions about parachutes.

TC

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AokEyl1FHg[/youtube]

Great, but where does the video address hackle length?

Many instruction call for using the hackle gage for measuring your hackle. I use the size recommended for the size hook I'm using.

I've had longer floats and re-uses with longer hackle. Seems that it can survive a fish dunking it.

Back