Panfish in lancaster city

jeremymcon

jeremymcon

I know it's the middle of winter, but for some reason I've had panfish on my mind lately. I moved to lancaster this past august, and I have no idea where to find a decent place for sunnies or bass! The little conestoga is right outside my apartment, but I didn't catch much in there this past fall- I did get one largemouth bass, and caught a carp (on spinning gear), but mostly what I see there are fallfish. I was hoping to find some bluegill or pumpkinseed or something, but didn't have any luck.

Are there any parks in lancaster that have decent panfish populations? Sometimes I just want to catch some sunnies rather than driving all the way out to the donegal for trout.

The Conestoga River runs through County Park. Fish there. You will not be disappointed!

My experience has been the Conestoga has a lot of rock bass throughout it. Further upstream you run into lots of pumpkin seeds. Same with the Cocalico.

Get to know the Conestoga River. It's agreat option during summer and early fall when it's often too warm for trout and it's a lot shorter drive!

I worked in the Greenfield Industrial Park back in the 90's. Quite a few ponds and several really intimidating swans.

Never fight with a swan during your lunch break. (Just saying, business 101)

Anyway, there's a lot of panfish in those ponds if you don't mind the scenery.

I also would like to put in a plug for the Conestoga River. In many areas it is very wadable and there is just a ton of opportunities there. It is a really good WW fishery. As far as panfish go, last season I caught rock bass, crappies, green sunfish and some of the most beautiful redbreast sunnies that I have ever seen. These fish weren't all dinks either as most of them were caught on size 4 Clousers or pencil poppers as I was primarily targeting Smallmouth Bass. I think the part I really enjoy about fishing the Conestoga is that you just never know what species you are going to tie into next. Good luck.

Ok then- sounds like I'm trying the conestoga once the weather warms up a little. Thanks everyone. I've been doing a little research, and I may also try the little chiques creek up toward manheim - I'm actually a little north of the city in east Pete, so that'd be close too. Anybody fished the little chiques?

if you get the chance jeremy make the drive up to berks county and fish the tully outside of reading...its an easy drive up 222...probably 30 mins from east pete...my family is from lancaster and every time im home a buddy of mine and myself always try to find time to head up there...great fishing...plenty of species (including panfish)...and right now great for trout

fishingnoob wrote:
if you get the chance jeremy make the drive up to berks county and fish the tully outside of reading...its an easy drive up 222...probably 30 mins from east pete...my family is from lancaster and every time im home a buddy of mine and myself always try to find time to head up there...great fishing...plenty of species (including panfish)...and right now great for trout

I might have to do that. When I was living at home in Lebanon county the tail end of the Tulpehocken ran through my town. Learned to use dry flies on that part of the stream. Never did see any warm water species on the stretch that I fished - just trout, creek chubs, and plenty of carp. I've been meaning to fish it upstream a little further. Is there an access point off of 222 someplace?

Actually, I think you were closer to the headwaters up in Lebanon. What part of Leb. Co. were you at? I fish the Upper Tully quite a bit in Lebanon, Myerstown and above. Great wild trout fishing, if you can find access....

Little Chiques is best fished for warm water fish downstream from Mt Joy . I have surveyed it in town and there are WW fish present there as well, but the habitat improves as you head downstream from there so I would expect the fish pop to likewise improve.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Actually, I think you were closer to the headwaters up in Lebanon. What part of Leb. Co. were you at? I fish the Upper Tully quite a bit in Lebanon, Myerstown and above. Great wild trout fishing, if you can find access....

I thought the stream started at Blue Marsh lake in Berks county? Wouldn't that mean Lebanon county was the tail end of the stream? Maybe the stream's a little longer than I was thinking...

I fished it in Myerstown, actually! Right behind the "lakeside" quarry is where I generally went. There were lots of little wild brown trout in that area that were very willing to take a size 14 adams. It was always a lot of fun. Great place to learn to fly fish, I think.

Back