Packing in Waders and Boots

Rainier42

Rainier42

For longer treks in to mountain creeks, how do you all pack in your waders and boots?

On certain streams, when a long hike is involved, I put all of my stuff in my backpack. My waders, boots, lunch/water, and vest, which also holds my rod tube, fit nicely. This leaves me hands free. I'll also bring my hiking staff along on more rugged terrain.

I wear them. That’s the easiest solution I’ve come up with.

If you think it’s too hot to do that, you’ll be too hot fishing in them all day too. Consider wet wading, though that comes with a different set of risks/compromises…Increased tick and snake exposure, namely. No perfect solution.

I usually wear them in as well. One reason for that is on trips I've carried waders in with the intent to wear them once I got on the stream, my paths in took me thru enough high brush early in the morning covered in evening dew that my pants were pretty wet by the time I arrived.

Gear choices can make a difference: I'm now using lightweight wading boots (Korkers Devil's Canyon) that make hiking a breeze while wearing them. Simms and others make highly regarded lifghtweight wading boots that are well suited for the hiking part of the trip.

Although I usually wear in, on really hot days (especially this summer), I'll usually remove waders for the walk back if it's a couple of miles from the car. I upgraded my pack earlier this year to one with a stowable Hypalon wader/boot pouch that allows me to roll my waders up and stow them externally to my pack. Fancy feature that I've used several times and love but feel like something that can be replicated with a little creative thinking and a bungee cord.

Reactions: CRB
I wet wade on those streams. Tucking your pants into your socks helps reduce the chance of tick issues.

Treat pants with permethrin, ditch waders, wear footwear of choice, and hike in. Watch your step for timber rattlers and copperheads and enjoy.

What kind of pants do you guys wear while wet wading. I have always worn shorts.

What kind of pants do you guys wear while wet wading. I have always worn shorts.
Columbia Sliver Ridge Convertable Pants. Light, quick dry, and yes, convertable. Can usually find them at discount outfitters cheaper than the Columbia site offers them.

Regardless of temps, I always wear long pants and lightweight long sleeves when wet wading.

I wet wade on those streams. Tucking your pants into your socks helps reduce the chance of tick issues.

I do tuck my pants in my socks, and wear snake gaiters over top of that, to my knee. That said, both of my tick exposures resulting in early (caught and treated fortunately) Lyme disease resulted from wet wading small forested streams though. Never found a tick actually on me with waders.

As I’ve gotten into the back half of my 30’s, I’ve really begun to notice and mind getting hot, and struggling to stay hydrated despite carrying as much as 120 oz of water with me, doing this kind of fishing (in waders) in the Summer. It has me on the verge of dabbling with wet wading again and accepting the risks that come with it.

More than once in the last 5 years I’ve found myself severely overheated, to the point that I’d find a good deep pool and just sit down in it, submerged to nearly the top of my waders, and sit there for an hour or so to cool down. One time I was about 3 or 4 miles from my vehicle on a remote NW PA system that is known for having all three species in it - I’m sure you know where. I was legitimately a little scared. I felt better after an hour so stopping to cool off, but it still wasn’t a fun hike out.

I’ve read a lot about this, and while not terribly common, it’s common enough that if affects professional athletes during the back half of their careers to the point it leads many of them toward retirement. I’m far from a professional athlete, but the symptoms are quite similar.

Any nylon/polyester hiking pant will do. They all dry fast, but some faster than others.

I wear them. That’s the easiest solution I’ve come up with.

If you think it’s too hot to do that, you’ll be too hot fishing in them all day too. Consider wet wading, though that comes with a different set of risks/compromises…Increased tick and snake exposure, namely. No perfect solution.
I like Korkers wading boots for long hikes in. I put in the hiking doles then when I reach the stream, change to felt/ studded / etc. depending on stream conditions. Breathable waders are usable on hot weather and do protect great against insects and poison plants

I like Korkers wading boots for long hikes in. I put in the hiking doles then when I reach the stream, change to felt/ studded / etc. depending on stream conditions. Breathable waders are usable on hot weather and do protect great against insects and poison plants

In my experiences on 90 degree days, logging 8 or 10 miles round trip, “breathable” is just a marketing room term. 😜

I've worn sneakers over my neoprene booties to hike in, packing in the studded wading boots.

I let each situation dictate If I wear waders or pack them in. I do wetwade some, but do typically prefer waders unless in a small stream where I don't need to get in the water much.

Wet vegetation, presence of a trail and the terrain it takes to get to a stream all factor in. If I have a legit 1 mile plus without a well established trail, I almost always pack waders in. I lash my wading boots to the outside of my pack. I have also used this method in hunting season and have several spots I put waders on to cross a creek and then stash for wearing on my way out.

I will mostly wet wade. Started wearing pants for all my wet wading this year. I got a couple pairs of simms guide pants with stretchy waist bands. If you are in the water less than 10 minutes consecutively the water pretty much just runs off them. If I feel it's a particularly snake likely area, I throw on my SnakeGuardz by crackshot. Boots I just hike in, Korkers river ops, regular lace, spiked vibram soles, and their idrain socks. Water supply, I carry a small, 17 oz, Grayl water purifier. Works like a french press coffee maker.

For backcountry fly fishing, the best way I found to load a pack up (for 1-2 nights) is:
  • Have at least a 30L pack (I use the 30L WorkSack from Cilo Gear); this pack is great and there are other brands that also have a "modular" construction so you can move straps around and find the right fit for gear.
  • Wading boots get strapped to the outside on the sides of the pack; some extra socks can be stuffed into the toes of the boots. Tent poles also get strapped alongside one of the boots, and the fly rod gets strapped alongside the other boot.
  • Tent gets rolled up and compressed to the bottom of the pack along with inflatable sleeping pad. I find that things like tents/inflatable sleeping pads/sleeping bags just compress way better than a pair of waders, so they end up fitting inside the pack without wasting space.
  • Heavy things (like stove, gas, water/water bladder) are placed in the pack up against the back (so the weight is closest to your back).
  • Food, sleeping bag, reel, fly box fill in the the space inside the pack.
  • Waders can be rolled up tightly and strapped to the bottom of the pack or under the "lid" of the pack.
You can learn a lot from mountaineering, and good video to check out is this one on packing a mountaineering backpack (they use a 65L pack in the video, but there's also a lot more stuff that has to go inside).

I go in (I don't even wear waders on trips like these) with quick dry pants and my boots. I don't see the reason to pack in waders, a little discomfort doesn't out-weight added weight and A LOT of space being taken up. I take in just a sling and may take a gallon jug of water carried to the creek by its handle if it's really hot out. Just put in what I need in my sling to include a bit of food (protein bars take up minimal space but can melt and some taste like sawdust). I put the reel in the pack too unless fishing Tenkara. Just kidding, I don't fish Tenkara. I also toss a few cigars in at an area in the pack where they won't get smashed. I trek in carrying my fly rod in its sock and will place the sock into the pack once I have assembled the rod at the creek. Being a minimalist really has it's merits with this type of fishing.

I'm similar to Silent Ocelot. I treat my quick dry pants with permethrin, wear wading socks, and wear my lightest weight wading boots. Everything is tucked in for tick/bug reasons.

The bag I bring depends upon the hiking length, the risk of adverse weather, and my general best guess at hunger. I ALWAYS pack an inReach mini and use the tracking feature on it. This has given me great peace of mind while fishing remote streams. I always send my wife an automated message with my pin location, just in case.

If I need to pack in waders, I think the roll-up method attached to the bag makes the most sense and is easiest. I would almost always wear my wading boots unless I'll be doing some ultra-long hikes (5+ miles) - in that case, I'd probably bring a dry bag to put them in and carry them in my bag. I'd then use the same bag on the way out to keep my other gear dry if they're wet.

Back