PA trout season

W

wangdb

I’m confused about the closure on PA trout streams. Does the 1 March - opening day closure apply to not stocked class A water?

Thanks,
Dongbo

I’m confused about the closure on PA trout streams. Does the 1 March - opening day closure apply to not stocked class A water?

Simple answer is this:

Closed= All stocked trout waters including Class A stocked waters

Open=non stocked trout waters (unstocked Class A and wild trout or warmwater).

Of course there are exceptions and some stocked waters are open year round. Best to ask the PAFBC about the waters you intend to fish during this time frame.

Very bottom of this page:
Regulations

The PAFBC web site is really a disaster when it comes to searching for anything other than general stocked trout regs.

I did ask and receive clarification last year, or a couple years back maybe (time flies), on the situation where there is a concurrency of Class A and STW (Stocked Trout Water) on the same stream in the same county, but different stream sections.

Using Northkill Creek, in Berks County for example. It is on the Class A list in its headwaters in Berks County...Headwaters to Northkill Rd. bridge. The whole stream is listed as STW in Berks County, and is stocked further downstream from the Class A section...Feick Dr. bridge to its mouth. It is not stocked in the upstream Class A section. The explanation that I received is that for purposes of fishing from March 1 to Opening Day, the STW regulation trumps the Class A designation, and the stream is closed to all fishing in the county of the STW regulation during that time period, including the unstocked Class A section.

I saw this new language in the STW section that I didn't recall before that I believe covers the above scenario:

"Unless geographically designated in the Region Regulated Trout Waters section, the term trout-stocked waters includes the entire stream from headwaters to mouth."

^ I think this essentially is to differentiate stream sections within the same county that are listed under different regulations. For example a STW that is adjacent to a FFO or other open year round regulated section on the same stream in the same county. Class A is not a "regulation" per se, it is a biomass indicator and management designation.

Short, bottom line version for the OP: If the stream you're looking to fish is listed as a "Stocked Trout Water" in the regs book in the county in which you're looking to fish it, it's closed from March 1st to Opening Day. Class A or Wild Trout designation doesn't matter.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, if there's STW on a stream - headwaters to mouth, there's a closure unless there's special regs that open the water to year round angling?

yes, were you looking to fish anywhere in particular? Someone may be able to be of more help with a specific water.

Not really, I'm just planning some early spring trips. Live in the DC area, so I will probably avoid PA during March, unless I plan on fishing special reg water.

Thanks for the clarifications!

Nothing like new regulation to clear up old regulation.

Coming up I-83 into PA you have three options within 15-20 minutes of the highway in York county. Muddy Creek C&RFFO area to the east, to the west there is Codorus Creek Trophy Trout Water. (Don’t expect big fish though) and the South Branch Codorus Creek “open to year round fishing” section from Centerville downstream.

All three are just a few miles into PA on I83. Them a juggernaut of back country roads. GPS is your friend.

These are all special reg waters and should keep ya busy.

Good luck.

Maurice wrote:
Coming up I-83 into PA you have three options within 15-20 minutes of the highway in York county. Muddy Creek C&RFFO area to the east, to the west there is Codorus Creek Trophy Trout Water. (Don’t expect big fish though) and the South Branch Codorus Creek “open to year round fishing” section from Centerville downstream.

All three are just a few miles into PA on I83. Them a juggernaut of back country roads. GPS is your friend.

These are all special reg waters and should keep ya busy.

God luck.

Not in PA but the gunpowder off 83 is a year round fishery.

Yes, I'm familiar with the GP an it's tribs. I've been putting off my forays into southern York county. But, I'm kind of obsessed with the Catoctin's right now and have been curious about the SW Adams county stocked streams - Middle Creek and Tom's Creek. I've wondering if there's holdover or some natural reproduction in those streams?

There are approved stocked trout places that are open to year round fishing. You cannot keep the trout in March. There are plenty of signs around. Also look to see if the place is marked approved trout waters and check where they stock. If it’s not marked with a sign or on their website then you have the right to fish it in March but still you cannot keep trout in March unless it’s special regulations.

Back