PA side of Delaware - public access near Hancock, NY?

C

cl3

I'll be passing thru Hancock this weekend and want to try to get on the river on my way back home if time permits. I'm trying to google some maps for access points on the PA side... anyone know of any?

I will be passing right by the Whitetail Country Fly Shop at 191 / 370 intersection, so I guess I could always stop in there...

Thanks in advance.

You can get on the WB at the shehawken access area - which is right at the 191/370 intersection.
I wasn't aware of a fly shop there now - although there used to be an orvis shop there years ago. It became a nursery, which was still there last year
I never made it up there this year however - and guess this fly shop just recently opened.

You can also get on the WB at the 191 bridge, which crosses right at hancock.

Further upstream, you can access at balls eddy.
And even further upstream, you have the game land access lots

dryflyguy wrote:
You can get on the WB at the shehawken access area - which is right at the 191/370 intersection.
I wasn't aware of a fly shop there now - although there used to be an orvis shop there years ago. It became a nursery, which was still there last year
I never made it up there this year however - and guess this fly shop just recently opened.

You can also get on the WB at the 191 bridge, which crosses right at hancock.

Further upstream, you can access at balls eddy.
And even further upstream, you have the game land access lots

Nice. It appears I won't even have to go out of my way. It's like I'm supposed to fish there!

Google says there's a fly shop there... primo spot I suppose. His website looks fresh & up-to-date.

It appears access is actually behind the shop, pic attached...

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    76.1 KB · Views: 2
Yep, WC just opened this year. Pretty good shop and Dave will help you out.

If you are fishing at Shehawkin, you'll likely want to go downstream from the ramp.
At 191 Bridge, up or down.

Same a Balls Eddy access.

Can't say for the game lands 'cause I use a boat.
: )

It is a shame that there is not more public access to the river up there. It is a total pain to try and get to the river most places. They even have a large sign in the cemetery saying "NO RIVER ACCESS". Keeps me away plus the locals weren't very friendly to me.

DaveS wrote:
Yep, WC just opened this year. Pretty good shop and Dave will help you out.

If you are fishing at Shehawkin, you'll likely want to go downstream from the ramp.
At 191 Bridge, up or down.

Same a Balls Eddy access.

Can't say for the game lands 'cause I use a boat.
: )

Thank you very much for the additional clues!

Tight lines!

Park at the 191 bridge and fish the spot right below it. I always catch some bows there.

kobalt335 wrote:
Park at the 191 bridge and fish the spot right below it. I always catch some bows there.

Got it!

By the way, how crowded, or not, does the river get on a typical Sunday afternoon?

You shouldn't have a problem with crowds. Once you're below the high water mark you can walk wherever you want.

I nymphed just down river from the boat launch at WCO Sunday 12-3 PM. It was hot out. Another guy was fishing just down from me and wasn't having much luck either. Some guys on drift boats said the flow was around 300 cfs and they had had a release the nigh before and then shut it down? Perhaps the fish were affected by this they said?

Anyway, nice time after a great weekend in the heart of the Catskills. I will surely be back there now that I have seen the lay of the land.

Back