Pa Muskellunge Management Meeting 18 Oct - With Recap

M

Mike

Note: To attend you must RSVP by about 3 PM today.

http://www.fishandboat.com/newsreleases/2014press/musky-summit.htm

On Mike's link above, you will want to click on the "online" link to get to the sign up sheet (which will ask for some basic info, address etc). Don't send an email to Ridgeway. You need to go to the sign up form.

See you tomorrow at Cabelas.

It was good to see Dave Weaver in attendance and individuals from across Pa. Everyone had to have learned something new about muskellunge management and culture. I know that I did with respect to the latest in culture techniques, particularly vaccinations that reduce disease incidence to the extent that the muskies can now be grown in warmer water temps without becoming sick. This is important in that it speeds their growth rates, which results in larger fingerlings for stockings. Larger fingerlings should reduce losses to predation post-stocking.

Yes, informative program to the public. Hopefully, such a summit can be repeated in the future, perhaps in western PA next time, where there are generally more toothy guys.
The topic of river studies came up during the discussion. Currently, most of the exciting new research by the PFBC on this fish is unfolding in lakes (Mike has kept us well informed about the lakes in SEPA). However, data on river fish is badly lacking and would be much anticipated by those of us who mainly target river systems. Hopefully there will be studies soon involving rivers - it's much needed.
Three things came up during the meeting that I thought was particularly interesting:

1. Although data is preliminary and needs a few more years to get to solid conclusions...the current evidence is very strong that yearling muskies (these are year old fingerlings in the 12-18" range when stocked) are surviving much better than the typical, 5-9" fingerlings stocked in the fall. Again, too early to say for sure....however, I would not be surprised if future management practices in PA involve stocking a lot fewer, but bigger muskies.

2. The success in muskie fingerling growth using new, dried feeds (the dry feed fingerlings get bigger), vs fingerlings that are fed live minnows. Although they don't grow as fast, minnow feeding seems to produce a young muskie with better coloration and behavior (avoids predators and seeks cover). Traditionally, minnows have been regarded as superior food for purebreds, but are very expensive. This issue is still being studied and mixed minnow/dry feed protocols are being considered. Whatever the case, things look promising for fingerling production.

3. The routine discovery of very small muskie fingerlings during summer SMB surveys. Although I'm not surprised to hear about this, I'm not aware of any data on this. This implies small but widespread natural reproduction in mid state rivers. Perhaps this is being tallied. If not, it should be tallied as a data set IMO (if possible to do so, obviously funding and manpower are limited).

Although this was not discussed in the meeting...purebreds in the Potomac River (this is not their native range, they just showed up mysteriously about a generation ago) are thriving without stocking. The numbers of muskies in the Potomac has just exploded in recent years producing a very robust fishery and all the fish are wild. Very unusual situation. I would hope the muskie folks at the PFBC have talked to John Mullican in Maryland and compared notes regarding wild muskies in rivers outside their native range.
Anyway, it was an informative meeting (And Kudos to Dave M for enforcing the time hammer - always needed at these sorts of events :) )

It was a very informative meeting. From the fish culturing to 3 Muskies Inc reports from the 3 Rivers, Penn Jersey & the Nittany Valley chapters. I think it's a great thing that Fish commission is getting angler feed back but I would love it to be on a greater scale. Than just the 40 or so in attendance. Hopefully they use this feed back.

Personally I'd love to see a fifty inch minimum with slot limits out in place. And musky travel they spend $ on there sport so why not institute a musky stamp like the trout stamp.

Fish it was great getting to meet ya and hearing your comments on the Big J. That section in in my chapters region.

PACOFRANSICO wrote:
It was a very informative meeting. From the fish culturing to 3 Muskies Inc reports from the 3 Rivers, Penn Jersey & the Nittany Valley chapters. I think it's a great thing that Fish commission is getting angler feed back but I would love it to be on a greater scale. Than just the 40 or so in attendance. Hopefully they use this feed back.

Personally I'd love to see a fifty inch minimum with slot limits out in place. And musky travel they spend $ on there sport so why not institute a musky stamp like the trout stamp.

Fish it was great getting to meet ya and hearing your comments on the Big J. That section in in my chapters region.

Great to see the FBC out there giving and getting info directly to and from anglers.

As far as a musky stamp, maybe a voluntary one for the musky anglers, but a mandatory one wouldn't work. For example two lakes in my area (SE) receive a stocking of muskies: Nockamixon and Marsh Creek Reservoirs . Both are very popular with anglers, but 99% of the anglers are fishing for bass, panfish or other species. A muskie stamp requirement would be a no-go.

Anyway, good stuff all around.

Those present noted the undertone of supply and demand with muskellunge stocking. As with stocked trout, muskellunge need to be stocked where anglers fish for them and not stocked where angler interest is low. We wish to generate good quality fisheries. ( A "fishery" by definition has two components: the fish population AND the anglers who fish over the population). A concept introduced yesterday also brought into consideration the waters where anglers would most like to fish for them, given the opportunity and based at least in part on the reputation of the existing fishery fisheries. If angler interest or use is low in some existing stocked waters, the fish stocked in those waters can better be utilized to further enhance, where biologically possible or advisable, the muskellunge populations in waters where muskellunge anglers fish or have a strong desire to fish. We have done some major shifting of muskellunge stockings and regulations in the recent past based on angler input, and I expect PFBC positive responses to muskellunge angler input to continue. The surveys that participants completed will be carefully reviewed.

Back