PA GPS Fishing Guide

S

steve98

Does anyone have this APP?
If so how do u like it, and how can it work when there is no internet or wifi service?

Ty,
Steve 98

I have it. I like it. Without WiFi or cell service it's not so good. Maps don't download. You can save them prior for given areas, but I'm lazy, and at that point it kind of defeats the "on the go" nature. If I gotta research ahead of time I'm using a desktop and google maps overlays, and printing paper maps.

The value is in having the natural repro list and class a overlays on the go when you get an unexpected chance and didn't do your homework. Also, usgs quad type topo is cool to have in an electronic interface.

Now, combine this with HuntGPS maps with property boundaries and land ownership info on a handheld GPS. That'd be awesome.

I have n use and really like

I just use the Topo Maps app, it gives your location on any stream no matter where you are.

What is the topo maps app something different?

Just want to know if I am driving in NCPotter co with not reception and I use the app to find a stream can it do it and if so how?

You'll see various red, blue, purple and other color lines which represent streams (natural repro, class a, special reg, etc are color coded). Also marker pins for class A and special reg ones that if clicked on, gives you the name and classification and seasons and bag limits. Natural repro list has no clickable pins, just shaded red lines, so you need maps to read stream names. If you have gps this will be shown on a blank white map centered on your location. Otherwise it starts centered on wherever it was last time you had the app up.

With internet the above is an overlay over top of Google maps, which fills in to replace that blank white background. Choice of map or satellite view or topo. Topo gives you the usgs quad type.

So it basically works like google maps with the topo option and a permanently stored overlay of lines and pins. Without internet, still have lines and pins but no map.

There is a way to download the maps online and save them for when you exit cell coverage, thus avoiding the white background for a predetermined area and zoom level. But IMO it's not user friendly at that point. At that point its quicker and easier for me to use an actual computer and the PFBC provided overlays and print them rather than figure out how to save the map I need. But I suppose I'm getting old, lol.

Aside from a better mechanism for storing offline maps and labels for the Class B-D trout streams, I hear those loud and clear, please give me your wishlist of what you'd like to see in this app! I'm starting to plan updates for the 2017 season and your input is valuable. The PFBC is also giving input from their end on what would make it better. Don't be shy, tell me what you want!

My biggest wish, and it's probably pie in the sky, is property boundaries and private landowner info.

onXmaps does it with the Hunt Premium for GPS as well as an app called onX Hunt. IMO these products are ridiculously awesome. The GPS version is better because it's housed on an SD card and doesn't need cell service, but that's just a limitation on phone based apps.

It'd be real cool to have the same system, but an overlay with the streams with natural reproduction list, Class A, special reg, and ATW's color coded overtop.

So driving by you could cross a bridge and say "this is brookie creek, it's on the natural repro list but not class A. The stream itself is the property boundary between Jim Bob and John Doe, with Jim owning that side and John owning this side. It's like that for 1/2 a mile up from here, and above that, James Smith owns both sides....

Anyway, aside from private property boundaries and landowner info, I'd say a more achievable goal may be to be able to switch map types more easily. My 2 most used would be Google terrain view and google satellite view. Just a button switching back and forth would be great...

I have it and it's great. I recently moved to South Carolina and there isn't one available down here. I was very disappointed because of how valuable the app was when I lived in PA. I've never used it outside of cell coverage so i can't speak for that but I know it has saved me hours of hunting good water. It was totally worth the $9.99!

I wouldn't pay for it again and would only recommend to you if it were free. It never works when you are in remote areas with poor cell service. If i was just fishing Spring Creek or something, I don't need a map app to get me there.

I got a new phone recently and haven't bothered re-installing.

That's gonna be a limitation of all mobile phone based apps, though. That's why the handheld GPS units are superior for outdoors activities. No need for cell service.

Don't get me wrong, I do agree with that inherent limitation. If I'm at home with WIFI, well, I'll skip the phone app and go straight to the computer. If I'm on the road in a fishing location, there usually isn't good service.

I find if you load the maps, you can screen shot them and if the maps are already loaded and tracking the GPS in your phone can usually follow your position even without enough cell service to load the map. So basically what I'm saying is, if you get the area you are planning on fishing loaded while you still have service, and the app does not crash, you should be able to use the app as the GPS tracks. Honestly I usually just use mapquest for this purpose, since the older version of the app has all the stream names. I just identify the stream ahead of time then go by name on there. I, like pcray, use my computer when home. When I have found this app to be handy is when I am on the road and need a list of streams near by that support trout, especially when I am in an unfamiliar area. For instance, I took a friend to spring earlier this year, we fished all morning and caught quite a few fish, but wanted to move on to something else. Moved towards fishing creek but conditions were not good and temps were borderline for me, so I suggested we find a brookie stream to hit up for an hour or two. Pulled the app out, found the three closest streams with wild trout and drove around til we found one that looked good to fish. Would have had no idea where to look without this app, because we live 2 hours away from where we ended up. So no, I don't use this app a ton, but it's a nice resource and reference to use at times also.

Honestly my biggest issue is I forget what the colors of streams mean, and they don't all have the pins. I also find some inaccuracies, but that is no big deal. I would also like to be able to show multiple layers at once, if that makes sense. So for class a, wild repro, and wilderness streams all at once, etc, and leave all the stocked waters, warm water etc out.

That said, thanks for the app, better than nothing, and I'm sure with improvements it will only keep getting better.

Back