PA Fly Fishing Museum Grand Opening

FrequentTyer

FrequentTyer

Is anyone planning on attending the PA Fly Fishing Museum opening this weekend?
http://www.paflyfishing.org/
I'll be tying flys at the event on Saturday and it would be good to see some PAFF folk if your in the area. It looks to be an interesting museum and I'm really looking forward to seeing some of the exhibits. I also understand there is some reasonable fishing in the area :) I may stay overnight and take advantage of that on Sunday morning.
Mike.

I'll probably be there although just as a guest rather than a vendor (too many other shows planned already).
Dave

Mike

I also will be tying there on Saturday. Stop over. Looking forward to the event.

did they move to a different spot ??

I am going to show up tom. If I had seen this earlier I'd drive down today. But have work in a couple hours.

sandfly wrote:
did they move to a different spot ??

They have expanded to a different building that is next door to the building (Fairfield Hall) where the old display is located.
The museum is still on the grounds of Allenberry.

Is this the group that has the "traveling rod" that gets passed to a selected member? If it is, I went to the big dinner / auction a few times in the 80's. The last one I attended with my fly fishing girlfriend. I was asked not to return because I had brought a woman to their banquet. So.....I won't be supporting that mindset.

krayfish wrote:
Is this the group that has the "traveling rod" that gets passed to a selected member? If it is, I went to the big dinner / auction a few times in the 80's. The last one I attended with my fly fishing girlfriend. I was asked not to return because I had brought a woman to their banquet. So.....I won't be supporting that mindset.

Ummm, probably no. At least not currently. It's a museum organization with open membership and nothing on their webpage indicates that they exclude women. In fact there are pictures showing women at their auction. It's the same group that does the Heritage day event at Allenberry which I have attended with my wife.

krayfish wrote:

Just show up with Kramer this time.....bringing a woman won't seem so bad to them in comparison :-o

Great time today! Good to see you guys - will follow up with some pics soon.

krayfish wrote:

No. It's a completely different group.

I was there and really enjoyed seeing some of the history. One of the guys had an older picture of a brown trout that was all but 50 inches easily. I Cant remember his name either charlie meck or charlie fox. could be way off there but that was the biggest fish i have ever seen.

IdratherbePhishing wrote:
I was there and really enjoyed seeing some of the history. One of the guys had an older picture of a brown trout that was all but 50 inches easily. I Cant remember his name either charlie meck or charlie fox. could be way off there but that was the biggest fish i have ever seen.

The photo you saw is the famous pic of Joe Humphrys with his 32" state record brown trout from the 1970s. This is the pic on the back cover of his book. The fish looks much larger than life because it's being held forward to the cameraman.
However, I think most of us had the same reaction as you did when we first saw that picture (at least I did). :)

Stopped in after work Friday as things were packing up, then again Saturday morning to take in more of the displays. It's a great little assemblage of trout harassing history, nice to finally see some of Marinaro's rods and gear. PA is rich in it's flyfishing heritage, more so than you may think, really gives you a greater appreciation for those that have come before us. Some nice tackle and gear on display, the opening festivities were nice, picked some brains about net & cane rod building and got to waggle some nice sticks. If only the bank account went deeper...

Then caught the late morning grannom hatch down on the Breeches, Hendricksons didn't quite turn on before I left around 3pm, but I'd had my fill of the crowded creek by then. Brought 6 or so to hand with a grannom on top, nicest was a full bodied wild brown pushing 14", a satisfying catch in the stocked C&R water, good times.

Highly recommend you check out the museum when you're in the area.

Yea dave I saw ya there the brief minute I was there. I had to go to work and my son was being fussy. You were deep in a conversation so I opted not to interrupt.

I also second what tomi has said. The shadowboxes are put together nicely and to even see flies that were tied by them in their own boxes was kool. As for the rods, I'd kill to have some of those little rods in the cases.

Pennsylvania Fly Fishing Museum Association Opening, PA
Meadow and Picnic Pavilion at Allenberry Resorts, in Boiling Springs, PA

Saturday , April 6th, 2013

http://www.paflyfishing.org

Attachments

• At_welcome_desk_Pres_Tom_Hoffmaster.jpg
    At_welcome_desk_Pres_Tom_Hoffmaster.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Bil_Skilton_and_Ed_Shenk.jpg
    Bil_Skilton_and_Ed_Shenk.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 6
  • Charles_Meck2.jpg