PA Fly Fishing literature/authors?

Skeet6

Skeet6

I didn't want to derail the Ed Schenk or the Fox thread, but would like some other PA based fly fishing author's books... I have the Marinaro ones, the Meck guides, but what else? Humphreys has some, which to pick? If you can, please give me some other recommendations?
Thanks much.
Mike B

Vanishing Trout, by Charles Lose

Limestone Legacies

George Harvey "Memories, Patterns, and Tactics".

Humphreys -- "Joe Humphrey's Trout Tactics" is good. His other book is not.

George Harvey/Dan Shields -- "Patterns, Tactics,..." This is a nice look back at PA fly-fishing through Harvey's eyes. Shields did a nice job of presenting Harvey's information.

Charles K. Fox -- Both "This Wonderful World..." and "Rising Trout" are nicely done.

Charles Meck -- "Memory Rising." This is his book of stories. Though padded with half the pages having no text, there are still more than 120 pages of text with a number of enjoyable stories. This might not be easy to find.

Alvin Grove -- "The Lure and Lore of Trout Fishing" is a solid book, especially for its time in the 1950s.

John Crowe -- "The Lore of Trout Fishing" preceded Grove's book and will be hard to find. But, it is a nice book of tactics.

If you are desperate, you can find my book, "The Trout at the Walnut Tree," on Amazon for 1 cent plus postage. It might be worth one cent.

Anyhow, these might give you a start on PA authors.

Although it is focused on "just" the LeTort, the new book "The LeTort: A Limestone Legacy" (Klimkos) is a great read.

TroutBert might have meant this one, but "Limestone Legends" (Shires, Gilford) is essential.

Ed Koch & Don Holbrook for midge fishing.
Ed Jaworowski (sp?) for casting.
George Daniels, nymphs and streamers
Mike Heck, spring creeks.

Trout Streams of Pennsylvania: An Angler's Guide by Dwight Landis (Troutbert) on this site.

"Practical Fly Fishing" and "Trout Flies, Naturals and Imitations", both by Charles Wetzel. IMHO still good primers if available. Simple and entertaining. "The Complete Book of Fly Casting" by John & Richard Alden Knight. I still like to go over some chapters. LOL

Night Fishing for Trout, by Jim Bashline

Pennsylvania Trout & Salmon Fishing Guide, by Mike Sajna

TU Guide to Pennsylvania Limestone Streams, by A. Joseph Armstrong

If you want an encyclopedic work:

Fishes of Pennsylvania, by Edwin Cooper

American Shad in the Susquehanna River Basin, A Three-Hundred Year History, by Richard Gerstell

Penn's Creek (River Journal), by Daniel Shields
Fly Fishing Pennsylvania's Spring Creek, by Daniel Shields

Pennsylvania Report of the State Commissioners of Fisheries (late 19th century publications) are interesting reads

Juniata, River of Sorrows, by Dennis McIlnay

Not as much angling but a history of the waterway:
Susquehanna, River of Dreams, by Susan Stranahan
Down the Susquehanna to the Chesapeake, by Jack Brubaker

Rivers of Pennsylvania, by Tim Palmer

CastingAcross wrote:
Although it is focused on "just" the LeTort, the new book "The LeTort: A Limestone Legacy" (Klimkos) is a great read.

TroutBert might have meant this one, but "Limestone Legends" (Shires, Gilford) is essential.

Yep. Thanks for the correction on the title.

Terrific book. Very interesting.

Theodore Gordon on fishing.

He was a yinzer back before it was cool

tomitrout wrote:
Ed Koch & Don Holbrook for midge fishing.
Ed Jaworowski (sp?) for casting.
George Daniels, nymphs and streamers
Mike Heck, spring creeks.

^ TT hit the nail on the head, IMO. These are excellent books that I own and have read. Reading them would give you a wealth of info on many aspects of FFing.

For entomology, in addtion to the Midge book I would add: Caddisflies by LaFountaine, Hatches II by Caucci & Nastasi, and Stoneflies by Richards, Swisher & Arbona

troutbert wrote:

Yep. Thanks for the correction on the title.

Terrific book. Very interesting.

No worries - it can be a hard one to find, though.

Another hard book to come by, but one that is definitely a great history of the fishermen and conservation moment in the commonwealth is "A History of Trout Unlimited and the Environmental Movement in Pennsylvania 1959-2000" (Klimkos).

I second the Ed Koch books, as well.

I'd like to add Chauncy Lively to the list.
I think the title is "Chauncy Lively's Flybox"

Thanks everyone! I will begin searching for the ones I don't have already this weekend. Thank you very much!!
Mike B

Bodines; Fishing and Camping on the Lycoming Creek.

Paul Weamer's guide to the upper delaware river.

George Daniel's recent books (Dynamic Nymphing and Strip Set) are as good as you will find for tactics

Jim Bashlines book on Night fishing is great.

Charlie Meck's book on Limestone streams is one of my personal favorites.

I though of Mike Sajna- he intertwined fishing, history and life's ups and downs into his book Days on the Water. I think guys in SW PA would especially like it based on his day trips to fish locally out of Irwin. Funny , he has a chapter on Bodines.

There is a book Flies Ties and Lies by Thonas Zacoi that includes Chauncy Livelys favorite patterns. I never met any of these men, although I feel a connection to them cause of this stupid thing called fly fishing.

I absolutely love this small book. I reference it often.

http://www.psupress.org/books/titles/978-0-271-20450-5.html

I'll add another more recent volume, Spring Creek Strategies by Mike Heck.

I have a good collection of fly fishing and tying books by PA authors. Perpare to fill several shelves on the bookcase. Many are or will turn into classics.

Back