PA Fly Casting Tune-up Head Count, 8/24

O

OldLefty

Notice I didn't label this a pre-comp event since I feel this can benefit anyone who wants to work on their casting skills, even if all you do is fish (after all, that's our top priority). We want this time to be fun for all as well as an opportunity to better one's skills for the casting competition.

Let's get a count on who plans to attend on the 24th. That's only a few days away!

I thought you could enter the day of the event because I didn't read the information on it. My mistake so I'm out. Since I've only been trout fishing 4-5 times this year, I'm going to do a little streamside relaxing. I'll catch up with you guys next get together. Based on my last outing or two, I need to take up a different hobby. Horrible timing / horrible results. Good Lu k to those completing.

Andy - thats a bummer to hear man. You are more than welcomed to join us Sunday. Becker and I can both testify to how much help it was last year.

I will be there no matter what. I am going to fish the paradise in the morning and head over to milesbirg aroind 11 to start grillin and set up the course.

Anyone interested in chillin out and refining your cast is welcomed. The one thing I tell anyone whos asks about casting is that there are many aspects of our sport that are out of our control. Weather, water flow, schedules, hatches etc. The one thing you CAN control is your abilities. This gathering is all about having a good time while increasing and refining our abilities.

I hope to see some of you guys out there!

Hi Tim - Odds are pretty good I'll be fishing the Tricos at the Paradise Sunday morning. I gotta head home around the time you'll be leaving for Milesburg though.

Hope to see you there....

Awesome! You have my number right?

Anyone from SEPA is welcomed to car pool with me. If that helps

Dave,

I have one coming with me.

As I am sure you already know I also invited all of the competitors who are participating this year. Sounds like we should have a good group. Is there anything you want me to bring? What I plan on bringing is:

-Rope for distance casting lane
-flags to spot casts
-casting "flies"
-300yd tape (I was going to bring my 100yd but then I thought, Dave is coming!)
-hoola hoops for accuracy
-grill
-burgers
-beverages
am I forgetting anything? maybe I should bring my fold-out car port. that would get us out of the sun.

let me know what else we need. can't wait, this is gonna be a great day of fishing and casting. I want to talk about leader construction too, I have some formulas I want to run by you.

If you are from the SEPA area and are interested, hit me up. we got room for one more.

Derek, sounds like you have everything (at least that I can think of) covered.

Oh, yeah, don't forget your rod, reel, line and leader(s)...

Dan and I are in the bellefonte area if anyone wants to meet up tonight

Running behind. Tricos were good in paradise. Be there in 10mins

Wow, what a day. Started out on spring creek with Daniel and heritage angler. Trico clouds and spring was up a touch but it was perfect for swinging soft hackles. Daniel and I both managed several fish to hand nymphing/swinging size 16 - 18 Wet flies. The youth fly fish team looks like they're in good shape this year. Spring was perfect.

Made it to milesburg around noonish. Met up with OldLefty and Artificial. Set up the course and spent the next 5 hours honing in our skills.

First let me say that it would have been nice to have more folks show up. However, that dissapointment resulted in some time that led to incredible personal improvement.

I will say that it's hard to put into words how helpful it is to get one on one help from an experienced professional like Dave Rothrock. Daniel and Artificial can back me up when I say that Dave (OldLefty) has a well trained eye. more importantly, his insight and subsequent advice is precise and and concise. That advice led to tangible and immediate improvement for all who attended.

That said I want to thank Dave for his time and effort. With your help I got out of the 70's and broke 90 for the first time. Thank you Dave!

With any luck, we will have a casting gathering again next year. To anyone interested in improving your cast whether you are trout fishing or headed for the salt give Dave a shout.

I'll agree with every word Derek. That was an awesome time yesterday. Dave and yourself were a big help with working on the kinks in my distance cast. It was extremely refreshing to spend a day with like-minded people doing what we love.

It would've been nice to see more people attend but with our small group it definitely did afford us the opportunity for some quality personal instruction.

It was a pleasure to hang with Dave, Derek, and Dan and I look forward to doing it again. See you guys at the comp.

Want to thank Old Lefty for some great insight, hints and exercises to improve my casting. Thanks also to Derek for the invite, before the practice session he took me to Fisherman's Paradise on Spring. It is a beautiful stream. Caught fish, not bad on first try. Although I won't be competing, I'm glad I attended, definitely a worthwhile event.
Good luck to Derek and Chris.

Sounds like a good time...I would attend these but Milesburg is too far from Allentown

Back