Pa. among 4 states receiving $6.4 billion to mitigate abandoned mine pollution

DaveKile

DaveKile

Administrator
Staff member
Catawissa Creek is a 42-mile stream that drains into the Susquehanna River in Eastern Pennsylvania. It is one of the most picturesque waterways in the state, all but untouched by roads. Its sand and gravel bottom, cobblestones and boulders should make it one of the best wild trout streams in the eastern United States. Sixteen of its tributaries have wild trout.

But the stream is dead. Some are praying for a resurrection.

The $1.2 trillion Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, passed by Congress in November, may answer those prayers and benefit local waters, too. The initiative calls for an unprecedented $6.4 billion to be spent at troubled waterways in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia over the next 15 years.

More...

There has been talk of this since I was a youngster. I'm now 57. I'm in the doubting Thomas crowd when it comes to these things.

Black Creek in Weatherly had money appropriated several years ago to fix it's AMD problem.
Nada since.
Wonder where that money went?
I have an idea.

The Big Cat is a beautiful stream, btw. Mostly all posted land, though. Sad, because it could definitely be a sleeper!

Back