Owens/Hot Creek

1fish

1fish

Did a camping/fishing trip to E. Sierras this past week. Camped at PV, and fished the Owens in the Wild Trout Area, Tuesday through Thursday. Then headed up the hill to fish Hot Creek on Friday.

Caught quite a few fish at the Owens, usually fishing from 10am to 2pm, then again from 5pm till dark. Mostly nymphed with a #16 BH prince. Then around 1pm, I would fish a #18 Adams or a #22 grey midge dry, to trout rising to Mayflies. The nymphing was pretty consistent for small Browns in the 8 to 10 inch range. The biggest fish landed was a 13 inch Brown.

The river was running low and the weather was excellent for mid March.

IMGP0382%20owens.jpg

Big fish of the trip, 13 inches caught up towards the dam.

IMGP0384%20trout.jpg

Hot Creek was running low and clear. Almost nobody there, I felt like I had the whole place to myself. Fished an assortment of nymphs, all catching fish. A small Zebra midge seemed to do best. The fish I was catching here were running even smaller than on the Owens. Probably 7 to 9 inches, with one around 12. Weather was amazing for that elevation in March. It seemed like it was in the 70's.

Hot Creek

IMGP0386%20hcreek1.jpg

IMGP0387%20hcreek2.jpg

IMGP0389%20hcreek3.jpg

No big fish pictures, maybe next time, but the weather was great.

I'm not familiar with these creeks, are they in Northern Pa. ?

I would be severely disappointed to go to CA and fish high mountain areas only to fish brown trout. But that's just me.

Back