Over-lining

CLSports

CLSports

Would using a 7wt sinking line on a 6wt fast action rod be a bad idea? Would this heavy line over stress a 6wt rod?

It should be fine. I'd imagine that you'd be unable to cast it at all if it stressed it to the point of failure. If it casts without any obvious issues, I'd say that odds of breaking it are low unless you really lay into it. I've done it on medium action 9wts before.

What model rod? Some are labeled fast but really aren't. Some labeled fast could handle 2 line weights faster.

Try it out, you may prefer it. I routinely fish a TFO Teeny 8wt with a 10wt line, and a Bean 3wt with a 4wt line.

Fits my style far better than the listed weight, but I don't care for fast.

I overline all my rods by 1 weight - just seems to make them cast easier.
I've even fished a 4 weight line on my 2 weight loomis IMX with now problems

Opposite of the other guys, I've underlined my RPL+ for 12-15 yrs. Go figure?!?!

It all depends on the rod action and the intended use.

Would this heavy line over stress a 6wt rod?

Better not hook any big fish. You might stress your rod!!!! :lol:

I just bought an ECHO Carbon 6wt rod, which they list as a fast action rod, to use as my new streamer rod.

I have a reel with 7wt sinking line on it that I intend to use with this rod. I have not received the rod yet to test cast it at all.

The reason I ask this question is because I had used that 7wt line with a 5wt medium action Scott rod a few years ago and I ended up snapping the rod while casting!! The rod is a lower end Scott model and it was repaired once, so it may have had nothing to do with the line I was casting. It could have just been my poor casting ability with heavy flies and a heavy line. Not sure . . .

I had used that 7wt line with a 5wt medium action Scott rod a few years ago and I ended up snapping the rod while casting!! The rod is a lower end Scott model and it was repaired once, so it may have had nothing to do with the line I was casting.

I would count that as just bad luck.

There is a difference of 10-40 grains between line weights. Find a 1/4" hex nut. 40 grains would be a touch heavier than that. That is the sort of weight difference we are talking about. This additional weight is nothing compared to the load imparted by a fighting fish.

Kev

dont do it!!!....sell the sinking line and get a sink tip line (jim teeny) or sinking leaders.....or you can wait until I whack fish after fish and I'll let you borrow one......hi-oh!

jeff

Back