S

steve98

Heading to the Outer Banks next week.
I am very green surf fishing.
Will not be using fly gear
Just looking for minimum tackle and bait suggestions
Don't care if or what I may catch.

Steve 98

3 or 4 oz sinker, bait hook (not sure what size, can't remember what I've used but not too big) and bloodworms. Cast out just far enough so it will hold bottom right where the waves start to break. You'll catch whatever bottom feeders are in the area. Look for the steeper beach sections, some places down there are really flat and I don't know much about fishing those kinds of spots.

Unless you are not holding bottom, don't move the bait until something eats it. Some days that's every five minutes, some days every 20.

Hi Steve,

Just thought I'd add there is likely a TWS in the are you are going to be. They have been very helpful to me in the past and sell bottom rigs like sarce was explaining in the previous post along with bait of course and the non resident license. I think I went down there with nothing and purchased everything I need there.

http://www.twstackle.com/

Have a blast....good luck.

Never experienced great fishing. Mostly small croakers and spot. Often caught them fairly close to shore. Recall my friend caught one nice sea trout from the beach. One year we were pestered by baby blue fish that kept biting the tails off rubber jigs. Use a long rod to keep your line above the waves. Something sturdy enough to toss a fairly heavy sinker. We always went with a standard two hook bottom rig with squid for bait. You can buy cheap outfits at numerous tackle shops on the OBX. Take or buy a rod holder that you can set your rod in while you're "fishing." Makes it much easier to drink your beer if you're not holding your rod all the time.

Hey steve98 heading to orakoke island NC next week for the first time too,But bringing my fly rod just one more type of fly fishing to scratch off my list good luck.let me know how you make out.

Well the wind blew and blew and blew.Caught some small blues,Croaker,drum and spot.Found out that a spotis the little bluegill of the salt water world(BAIT STEELERS).Still had fun.Went south now time to go north(FISH ON!!)

Back