Out of the ordinary

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

What is something that you tie, or a twist on a traditional fly that is a bit out of the ordinary? Sometimes something just a bit different ends up doing the trick. Mine is on the green weenie. I put extra small bead chain eyes on it. That coupled with the looped tail helps give it some extra "wiggle" that seems to help out with strikes plus also gives it some extra weight.

Variegated chenille on my buggers. I have a lot of success using it.

On my buggers I don't trim the maraboo tail, but instead use it as a shell-back.

this gives them a two-toned look (darker back, lighter belly).

Dyed PT. There's one color in particular, you'll have to try them all to figure it out.

I use dyed PT too.

As for the original question... nothing, or everything, depending on how you look at it. I only really tie my own patterns, except for simple stuff like hairwing caddis.

MKern wrote:
Dyed PT. There's one color in particular, you'll have to try them all to figure it out.

You're just gonna keep us hanging like that??? :)

Ry,

I'll say that I've mentioned it before, so you can scan back through my previous 2193 posts to find it -- souldn't take too long right? :)

I will give you a list of the colors I have.....
Natural
Black
Olive
Red
Yellow
Orange
Bleached

I tie all my may fly duns in a style that's kind of a cross between catskill and thorax patterns. Divided wings moved toward the center of the hook, smaller hackle, and divided tails. And they work quite well everywhere.

MKern wrote:
On my buggers I don't trim the maraboo tail, but instead use it as a shell-back.

this gives them a two-toned look (darker back, lighter belly).

I like that idea, Matt. I'll have to try it.

I sometimes will take a piece of pearl easter grass and run it up the sides of my wooly buggers and then palmer over top of it. It gives it the flash on the sides like most bait fish have when they are flashing. Easter is upon us, I use the pearl easter grass for flashbacks and a few other uses. Grab it while it's available!!

To get some flash on my bugger bodies, I use various colors of ice dubbing. Peacock, brown-olive, black and olive have worked very well for me.

Dale

Ryguy,
Check your PM.

Bead chain eyes on buggers. Gives 'em faces, and personality.

Oh, and weight, but after I've ringed 'em with enough lead, I doubt those little eyes add much.

I also put bead chain eyes on my bugger like gfen. I catch more fish with them than regular buggers.

I started to use marabou for some bodies on my small emergers. I'll take 2 or 3 strands, tie them in at the tali and make a body which I rib with kristal flash. Hard to tie but a great emerger pattern.

I'll say that I've mentioned it before, so you can scan back through my previous 2193 posts to find it -- souldn't take too long right? :)

I remember that post. Dyed up a bunch, tied a bunch, and had a field day up in NY on them.:)

MKern wrote:
Ry,

I will give you a list of the colors I have.....
Natural
Black
[color=FF0000]Olive[/color]
Red
Yellow
Orange
Bleached

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5275&forum=2&post_id=49671#forumpost49671

Me too Matt! No secrets once its on the www!

afish,

Ry was inquiring about PT's not my buggers.

I will say that all of the dyed PT's work well, but one stands out for me.

I didn't find the post, but I'm going to take a wild guess it's either orange or red. Festus said he dyed some and all the other colors I think I've seen in stores so no need to do it on your own. Just my process of elimination.

Yellow's the best for me, by far.

Second is natural, third is olive. YMMV.

I've moved to using dubbing a lot more for most of my nymphs, and probably don't have anything but yellow and natural at home. Might have to grab a few new tails to bring them back into the rotation.

Something that i do out of the ordinary is to tie my wooly buggers with peacock herl for the bodies instead of chenille , i tie one with chenille too but the peacock ones , especially in the smaller sizes , seem to do just a little better. One more thing , when tying weighted nymphs , i tie in square lead strips on the sides of the hook at the front where the wing case will go. It helps give them that flat , wide look at the front and also gets 'em down.

Back