Ott Lights

ErnieBall

ErnieBall

Hey all,

I was in need of a new tying light and didn't want to pay 70-100$ for a "fly tying" one. I did a little bit of research and found the "Ott Light". They have them at Jo-Ann fabrics (link at bottom) - and they are about 40 bucks on sale. I picked one up on Saturday and had a little session to test it out - this thing is great! Not only does it do a great job in low light situations for tying, but it also lends a hand to fly photography. Just in case anyone was in the market for a new lamp or needed an upgrade, I highly rec. these.

link:

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=prd2654

Nice lamp. I use two of these.

I am moving to a bigger apt in june, and want to spruce the tying station up. I might have to grab one of these.

I may just have to pick one of those up for 6 bucks - cant beat that. More light for fly photography is never a bad thing.

Word of advice, these lights are available at Michael's Crafts, and they tend to run a regular coupon where they offer a significant price cut.

I've always thought about going in to buy one, but have yet to bother.

ErnieBall wrote:
I may just have to pick one of those up for 6 bucks - cant beat that. More light for fly photography is never a bad thing.

It's not a bad thing for tying either. I use as much light as I can. The only limitation I have found is that having too many lamps makes for a very hot tying station.

No doubt - the light I was using made it virtually impossible to tie at night, so this is a significant upgrade.

ernie how does the ott light stand up is it attached to your table or is the bottom weighted

Bottom is weighted. It stands up fine and you fold out the flat part that puts the light out and it has a good range of motion for you to put it in different positions. To turn it off, you just simply close it.

Back