OT: It's getting cold out...

jayL

jayL

I know that during the september droughts, not many of us got out fishing. Due to this, tons of off topic threads got started. Given that the winter months are almost upon us (I've been wearing wool jackets everywhere lately), perhaps there would be use for a general off topic and rants forum? Just a possibility, because the OT threads annoyed some people. I've seen this work successfully on a few other boards that I've posted on.

Usually these forums are hidden from regular 'lurkers' and are only visible to registered members... kinda like this 'forum comments' one. That way, the casual browser doesn't have to read our off topic drivel, but we still get a place to vent it. Just based on the random convo I've had at the Jam and with fishing buddies, it might be a good enough place to hold sports, beer, etc. conversations to keep the general forum clean.

Perhaps the number of regulars posters might not be high enough to support it well, but this place has seemed to be growing pretty quick in my opinion.

Whatduya think?

Jay,

I am all for it. I have been thinking about this for some time. The off topic stuff does fit into the site, but probably not on the main message board. I really don't think it is an issue having a general area to talk about football or building ships in glass bottles.

Please thoughts, ideas or concerns.

Dave

I don't have a problem with that...and while bad behavior should still be not tolerated and deleted, You may have to loosen the reigns a little if you open a forum to things not fishing.

I agree with tom. The OT forum usually works better if it is more "loosely" moderated, but personal attacks, foul language, explicit material, etc aren't to be tolerated IMO. If it's not visible to unregistered members, it gives us all a chance to let our hair down and BS a bit without showing that side to the random browsers and googlers, and it would probably enhance the community feel among us regulars.

Bear in mind that there are (or were) kids registered as users of the site. I know one of my doctors told me his son is really hot to try fly fishing and that he found the site.

I like the idea; especially if you move topics that have diverted from the original post (not that that would ever happen on this site...).
(Rhetorical) What's your favorite fly shops in PA?!?!

I'd say it there but i'm sure someone would disagre with me and tell me that the topic hasn't strayed.

Regarding Tom and Jay's input, I'd say the OT posts of late have been as loosely moderatod as I would permit. I'd support an OT forum but as Pad said, and I concur, kids read this site, and I wouldn't want to allow it to be any wilder than it is now.

I see the forum more as a way to keep the General Forum more on topic. Not as a backroom to let it loose on each other.

Mo,

That's fair. It's been pretty wild out there. I'm all for keeping an a similar style of moderation as what's been put on our current OT threads.

I can put something together fairly quickly. Let me see if I have some time at lunch.

Dave,

Good stuff. It's appreciated.

You continue to provide an awesome (free) service to all of us. Thanks a ton man.

Back