Orvis Warehouse Sale - Oaks, PA

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
I just got a mailing from Orvis about a warehouse sale on Nov 20-22nd (Fri-Sat 9am- 6pm / Sun 9am-5pm) at the Greater Phila Expo Center in Oaks, PA. They had one last year at the Valley Forge Conv Center and it was decent. They offer up to 75% off Orvis merchandise.

Here are directions:

http://www.phillyexpocenter.com/directions/

I have the day off next Friday so I may take a ride down to check it out. Did they have a decent selection of fly fishing gear last year or mainly overpriced clothing?

They had a decent selection. I picked up some fly line for $10 as a backup. They had reels, rolds and accessories and, yes, lots of clothes and dog beds. I don't remember the discounts on the fly fishing stuff. I think it was decent but not a giveaway.

Thanks for the heads up!!

I have Friday off, the wife has to work and the kids have school - Perfect!! :)

Nice, literally 5 minutes from the expo. Not to mention you have the perkiomen there in oaks park 5 minutes to slay huge carp afterwards.

also to note, you can park at the expo center and follow the skuke trail upstream for good smallie fishing. The RR bridge right there is pretty good and theres some good structure as you work your way upstream. There's an old cofferdam half way up to phxville that fished well in the past, too.
Where the trail is now, I used to 4-wheel with my jeep.

I had a meeting today at the Expo center, before leaving I checked out the Orvis sale. They were not open and still getting set-up.
Tons of (yes) over-priced cloths. Lot's of rods, had to purchase the tub seperate. Most rods were priced between $150 to $200.
The best deal was fly lines, I think $10.00. Box labled tying material....nothing in there worth much. They had a lot of waders.
Lot of dog beds, tried to buy one for my Lab but they would not sell it until tomorrow

Bunk Show this year for fly fishing accessories. Had rods that were not factory builds, but built on orvis blanks, although prices weren't bad considering you could get a T3 blank built up for $150.
I got 3 pairs of patagonia shoes for $150 and tungston split shots for $1, normally $20. Watch selection was lacking, no fleece vests or jackets to speak of and very little shells. Only had large sizes of vortex reels and no fly lines under 9 wt and no tapered leaders or tippet. Overall and feed-back from others at the show was its the worst one yet.

I agree - it was pretty much a waste of time. I did find one 6 weight fly line that I got for 9 bucks. Even when you take 60 or 70% off, it doesn't do much good when the price of shirts is $100, reels are $600, and they even had fly boxes that were $119. Who pays $100 for a shirt? I may go back next year for waders. They were a pretty good buy at $69. When I first started fly-fishing, I used to see guys with their bamboo rod, $200 fishing net, $600 waders and a $300 vest with every tool known to man hanging from it. I used to call them "L L Bean Fishermen". I gues I'll change the name to "Orvis Fishermen".

sounds like i'm skipping it. thanks for the updates guys.

jeff

Thanks for the info guys, that saves me a wasted trip.

Just got back. I didn't have the experience of the past years, but I picked up some decent stuff. A pair of studded wader boots was $30, a chest pack was $20, tungsten split shot was $1, "real eggs" for tying were $1 for 10 and I picked up a DT 9 wt' line for $10. I don't know the orvis rods well, so I stayed away. Tons of clothes (some of that stuff is hideous -- pink plaid...are you serious?!). Most of their waders were $70. They had a good deal of wader bags, rod cases, luggage etc., but I didn't think they were priced very well.

Overall, I am personally glad I went...but you have to dig, and stay away from the ugly clothes and $200 belts (seriously).

I was pretty happy with the clothing, got several T-shirts for $9 and collared shirts for work for $14, we dress corp casual which is kahkis and golf shirts. The shirts I got were originally marked $69 so even if you consider Orvis is twice the price they might be $35 elsewhere and I got them for $14 so i wont complain. Got some nice shorts for $19 too.

Carried a rod around for awhile and talked myself out of it. Was disappointed in the lines, sure they were $9 but the were all 9wt +

Just got back myself and I thought that it was a waste of time. They have a ton of clothes if that's what you are looking for, but from a fishing perspective I thought that everyting there was junk. Yeah they had a bunch of rods, but they were a made from discontinued rod components, older blanks, and all stamped with the "R" which means reconditioned and there is no warranty. You can do better on EBay. Most of the other fishing related items were low end at best IMO.

i dropped in with my wife. i was hoping to pick up some fly line but was dissapointed to find, as others mentioned, nothing in single-digit weights. who uses a 13wt Trout Line? I'm not kidding, it was specifically marked as a Trout line!

i ended up getting nice pair of pants and a few really nice pairs of boots. red wings and aldens. not bad. no fishing stuff though.

i would have been tempted to buy one of those rods had my wife not been with me. a Superfine for $200 seemed amazing bu i guess from what you guys are saying i wasn't as good a deal as i'd have thought. didn't know they were seconds.

i'd give it a thumbs up. a let down on the fishing side but i personally think some of their clothes are pretty high-quality and the prices were pretty good. and you certainly can't beat the price on the boots.

Well the fishing sections sucked A . But i did get two pairs of waders for 146 bones one was a silver label and the other was Pro guides .

Back