Orvis wading boots

wildtrout2

wildtrout2

I just bought the Orvis Encounter wading boots on July 27th and only fished maybe 5 times with them. I noticed the threads pulling away from the boot as shown in this pic.

Would you return them being so new, or would you just keep wearing them?

Attachments

• IMG_3429 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_3429 (Custom).JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 20
How long does the Orvis 100% satisfaction guarantee last?

IMO, as long as they function the way you want, use them until the guarantee is closer to expiring. Squeeze more juice out of them, but don't lose your ability to return them for repair/replacement. There's no harm to Orvis in doing this and you get more life out of them. It's just being a smart consumer.

I did this 3x with LLBean boots. So far, I'm 6 years into them. My current pair is new. Disclaimer: I was grandfathered in under the old LLBean return policy. This is my last pair under that return policy.

I had the same issue with orvis boots but about 2 models ago. I took them back a number of times before they refunded my money. The tear did continue to get worse for me until the point where stream debris came through. I ended up switching to Korkers.

ryansheehan wrote:
I had the same issue with orvis boots but about 2 models ago. I took them back a number of times before they refunded my money. The tear did continue to get worse for me until the point where stream debris came through. I ended up switching to Korkers.

I agree with Ryan. Like he did, I would return them, get your money back and use the money to buy a higher quality boot from Orvis or from another manufacturer.

afishinado wrote:

... to buy a higher quality boot from Orvis or from another manufacturer.

It's just a shame to see what names like Orvis, and plenty of others, have become.

ColdBore wrote:
afishinado wrote:

It's just a shame to see what names like Orvis, and plenty of others, have become.

I have experience with the higher end Orvis wading boots and they are fine. Plus I would rate nearly all my tackle from Orvis as very good to excellent.

It all comes under "you get what you pay for..." The low-end stuff is low end from Orvis as well as all other manufacturers for the most part.

I've learned to buy something decent and it will serve you for a long time. If not, at least from Orvis, you have the option to get it replaced or get your money back and buy something else.

This has been the source of failure of nearly all my wading boots, regardless of brand. Once the threads are torn, they’ll just keep pulling apart. Either get them fixed, or return them now, soon after purchase, where Orvis is more likely to honor a full refund.

I had a pair of Redington’s do this nearly immediately, like the OP. I couldn’t return them...they were closeouts on a significant discount...Maybe the reason they were on closeout? Took them to a shoe repair place and got that area glued and reinforced with a couple more rows of stitches for like $15. They’ve been good since, and I still have them as a backup pair.

Some pairs have lasted a couple years and hundreds of miles walked before this happens...That’s just normal wear and tear, and is acceptable IMO. Not a reason for a warranty refund.

I just recently bought my first pair of Korkers, after hearing many reports of their bulletproof construction. Only have worn them a few times, but so far so good.

wt2 - One thing to think about...I know you do a lot of small stream fishing and log a lot of miles, like I do. Most wading boots are fairly inflexible, with the idea of providing support and protection for being in big water with bigger boulders. I think part of the reason the seams blow so easy for me is simply the amount of hiking and miles I put on them...That flexes the shoe and is hard on the seams. I’ve had good luck using oversized hiking boots for my small stream angling...Merrell’s have been the best. I don’t notice a big traction difference off of rubber soled wading boots, and they’re more comfortable for hiking, and hold up to logging miles better. Have easily gotten a season plus out of each pair. (I still wear normal wading boots on bigger water, but something to think about for small streams/hiking.)

I'd return them and get my money back. These boots are junk imo. I had the sole fall completely off after a few weeks, I returned them and Orvis gave me a new pair. After that pair only lasted 2 months, I just cut my losses and bought a pair from Cabela's and I've had these over a year and no problems yet.

afishinado wrote:

I have experience with the higher end Orvis wading boots and they are fine. Plus I would rate nearly all my tackle from Orvis as very good to excellent.

It all comes under "you get what you pay for..." The low-end stuff is low end from Orvis as well as all other manufacturers for the most part.

I agree. Maybe my post wasn't worded the best.

There was a time when *all* things Orvis were "higher end".

What I was getting at is that they are now willing to dilute their name with these low end choices.

I would've liked to have seen Orvis, and others, leave the bottom end for other companies, and just keep focusing on their original core item quality. That way, Orvis would always be associated with upper end, and not have these crap items tarnishing their overall inage.

Hopefully that makes more sense.

ColdBore wrote:
afishinado wrote:

I agree. Maybe my post wasn't worded the best.

There was a time when *all* things Orvis were "higher end".

What I was getting at is that they are now willing to dilute their name with these low end choices.

I would've liked to have seen Orvis, and others, leave the bottom end for other companies, and just keep focusing on their original core item quality. That way, Orvis would always be associated with upper end, and not have these crap items tarnishing their overall inage.

Hopefully that makes more sense.

^agreed. Selling junk is not helping their image or their bottom line if they have to replace or refund money for inferior merchandise.

I actually quit purchasing Orvis boots because of the seams falling apart. I used to return my boots every year for a new pair. The last time the model changed designs and had even more seams so I just never bothered. I bet I exchange my boots 4 times at least for new pairs due to the seams falling apart.

afishinado wrote:
ryansheehan wrote:

I agree with Ryan. Like he did, I would return them, get your money back and use the money to buy a higher quality boot from Orvis or from another manufacturer.
That's what I ended up doing. I took them back and I upgraded to the Clearwater boot. Just paid the minimal difference in cost. The Clearwater boot has better protection in the problem area.

wildtrout2 wrote:
afishinado wrote:
ryansheehan wrote:

That's what I ended up doing. I took them back and I upgraded to the Clearwater boot. Just paid the minimal difference in cost. The Clearwater boot has better protection in the problem area.
FWIW, I noticed (after the fact) that the Encounter boot is "imported", and they don't mention that for their more expensive wading boots. It makes you wonder how much of the other Orvis stuff is imported?

Is there a wading boot made in America? I can’t imagine.

Looks like Simms claims to be the only American wading boot maker. So the soles are falling off my American made boots

afishinado wrote:
ColdBore wrote:
afishinado wrote:

I've learned to buy something decent and it will serve you for a long time. If not, at least from Orvis, you have the option to get it replaced or get your money back and buy something else.

Not true at all. My friend has a pair of Orvis Pro Guide wading boots (The ones that were released in spring) (although they didn't release size 14's until August), the grommet that holds the lace in pulled right out of the boot the 2nd time he put them on. He tried them on in his home and when he was lacing them up at the stream for the 1st time it pulled right out. The boots were $229.00 and still make in another country. So, it's not always what you pay for, however, Orvis did send him a replacement pair and he had them within 3 days. Great customer service, but not good quality on the Pro Guide Boots.

My Orvis Encounters failed in the same exact spot relatively quickly. Im hard on my boots so I just continued to wear them until it became a problem then made the switch to a pair of Korkers Buckskins.

The buckskins have held up really well and no issues with the soles or stitching.

Back