Orvis ultralight waders/boots?

G

guzfish

Anyone have any experience with/opinions on the new Orvis ultralight wading system? A lot of the waders and boots out there--including mine--seems overly heavy and bulky. I never paid too much attention to this but I have the ll bean boa boots and I feel like I'm wearing the boots of Frankenstein's monster after walking a while. I was thinking about trying the Orvis waders/boots on. Pricy, but perhaps the level of comfort is worth it. Thanks.

These caught my eye also.
They're supposed to pack a lot easier too. Something that I could have used as I stuffed my Simms waders into my lone checked bag on a trip to Colorado last fall.
I'm sure they would be nice, but wonder how durable they are.

FWIW - Bean also came out with an ultra light wading system too

I bought the Orvis boots a few months ago. I've only worn them a handful of times so far but my impressions are that they're very comfortable, lightweight and really well made. They definitely lean more to a hiking boot than a big clunky wading boot, which makes them great for walking thru the woods, to and from the stream, etc. The sole is great too - traction in the water has been great. Big thumbs up so far.

My friend works for an Orvis store, he got the ultralight waders when they first came out. First day on the water with them and they were leaking. Think he sent them in, got another brand new pair and those leaked too.

I've had the Orvis Silver Sonic Convertable Top Waders for about 2 and a half years now and haven't had a single issue or complaint. They've been through hell and half - briar patches and thickets, crawling around on boulders in the Shenandoah mountains, and have been on multiple trips in a variety of conditions and I think I may now have a small pin hole in one of the feet (still trying to figure out if its sweat or water...). They aren't the best in super hot weather - which is when I wet wade anyways. They pack up pretty small as well - I've traveled with them in luggage multiple times. Also bought the access wading boots with those waders and can't complain either. Only had to replace the laces and can't even remotely notice any sort of damage /split seams, etc. on them yet. They are tanks and definitely lean towards the clunky wading boot side of the spectrum.

The ultralight waders have a leaking problem and it’s been confirmed. I talked to Orvis at the New Jersey Fly Fishing show and they are aware of the problem - although some Orvis Shops apparently aren’t. For me the problem was in the crotch because the gusset needs a lot of work.

They said the gusset will be addressed in either the next update or the new wader. That could be a couple years though.

I went through multiple pairs last year. They were sized correctly as well. Just a poor design that pulls the materials apart quickly, very quickly.

It’s a shame because I liked pretty much everything else about them.

I have a good friend who works in an Orvis shop. He has personally been through a few pair of the ultralight waders with the same problem Allan mentioned. Leaks and lots of them. Orvis didn't want to hear it. Maybe they are finally admitting it and doing something about it.

But hey, the boots look good!

Back