Orvis sling pack

BrandonMH

BrandonMH

I know others have talked about this, but I forget what was said. I don't remember if it was $65 before, or if it is on sale. What do those of you who have it think of it?

http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/search.html?term=orvis+sling+pack&forum=3&sortby=p.post_time+desc&since=&action=yes&searchin=both

I have the old version and love it. Not sure about the new one, but have heard good things. I think it's ugly.

I have the old one, I once raved but am now ambiviliant on it.

I have a coupon via email valid in store until 11/20, $25 off $50. first responder who will use it can have it if you PM me.

Care to elaborate on the fall from grace?

I hate carrying gear. Despise it. I strive to fit it all in fishing shirt or wading jacket pockets. When I do need to carry more than the pockets can handle, though, the sling pack is the best option I've found.

I got really into a lanyard and maybe a small box of flies in a pocket. Then, nothing til October. I carried that sling pack, and I found it just too much. I fumbled alot, it was sort of in the way, it just annoyed me.

Fine, I figured I'm deconditioned and trying too hard, so whatever, right? I've been out two more times with it, both times with that sling back and I find it makes me shoulder sore and I fumbled for stuff too much.

I'm gonna go back to the SAW ammo pouch on my wading belt. Carried less, fumbled less, shoulder wasn't as sore.

That said, there's a time and a place where that sling bag may be neccessary. If nothing else, it carries everything so I can select my neccessary load when I'm at streamside.

So, we agree. When you need to carry that much junk, sling pack is the answer. Otherwise, ammo pouch is the answer, for me.

I find adequate tightening of the waist strap to be critical to making it comfortable. Keeps it from getting in the way, and helps to distribute the weight evenly.

Like you, I only use it now and then. Carrying lots of gear sucks so hard.

Definate plus, when I was too fat for waist strap it was worn like a creel, and always flopping into my face if I bet over.

OTOH, perhaps its exhuberant tightening of waist and shoulder that enhances soreness.

I like mine. I agree carrying a lot of gear sucks but if I don't take most everything I always seem to be wanting something I left in the truck when I'm 3 miles away. It seems to fit me well and rides out of the way almost all the time. Be careful with the waist strap. Mine actually had some stitching unravel causing the strap to be useless until I could put it back together.

Overall it works well and allows me to carry a bottle of water, a cliff bar, and everything I might need for the day. This comes in handy since I like to walk a lot (miles) while I'm fishing.

It does get a little warm in the summer but can't be worse than a full vest or chest pack.

I don't mind gear since I roll with a vest now. I used to backpack alot and have the old orvis backpack to replace my smaller north face daypack that was years old and beat to hell. I don't mind hauling gear so much, and as ty said, I hate to get to a spot and forget something in the truck. I saw it in an email and was thinking of possibly getting it. I did like that magnetic Will and joseph pack I saw at Cabela's and was looking at other hip/waist packs from Orvis, Cabela's and LL Bean.

tyeager wrote:
I like mine. I agree carrying a lot of gear sucks but if I don't take most everything I always seem to be wanting something I left in the truck when I'm 3 miles away.

"Anything more than 500 yds from the car just isn't [d]photogenic[/d]fishable." Edward Weston, somewhat paraphrased.

gfen wrote:
"Anything more than 500 yds from my house just isn't fishable."

FYP. :cool:

What he said.

I just don't get how you could need more room than an adequate wading jacket. I carry 3 fly boxes, (one which is 2 sided for shot and indicators, my tippet dispenser, hemos, clippers, leader wallet, snuff, cell phone, and a blunt tube. I carry a gallon of water with me in Erie and set it down while fishing. What more can you seriously need? Not being a smart *** here, but I am curious. Is it jelly samwiches lol?

Jelly sandwiches are passe. Grilled babby jebus for the win.

In my sling pack I carry two fly boxes, both are two sided, shot in a plastic baggie, a few thingamabobbers, some indicator foam, hemastats, one spool of leader/tippet material from 25# downs to 4x right now (down to 7x if fishing trout), leatherman, nippers, gloves, and a bottle of water.

A good wading jacket will do the same thing but the sling pack is cooler in the summer.

It all comes down to personel preference.

I need a caddy to carry all my sh*t up on the tribs (six boxes). And in the summer I use a lanyard for brooky fishin'. I carry 2 small boxes,hemos & tippet. Yeager well have to get up with Bilger sometime.

I'd like that get a hold of me after deer season and see what we can work out....I have a little boy coming end of december so I might be on hold for a while

We've bin hittin 20 really hard and Were plannin a trip up over thanksgiving. After deer season well see if we can sneek up for the day.

Yeah I heard you were expectin' . Trust me I know its a busy time. Good luck!

Back