Orvis Reel Size Question

kyle1248

kyle1248

Hey guys I am going to be ordering a Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor Reel to put on a 9' 5 weight. What size do you recommend? They come in sizes from 3-5 weight and then from 5-7 weight. This is going to be used only as a trout rod. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Drive to Downingtown and try one out. I have the III and it's pretty light, so you can probably get away with the 5-7. Get on their email list and watch out for specials. A lot of times you can get a free line or spool with the purchase of a reel.

i got the 5-7 orvis large arbor in case i wanted to use it on a 7wt in erie for the tribs , it balances my power matrix great and it is a 9' 5wt and weighs 3 oz. this might help , what rod u putting it on and how much does it weigh is the question

I am putting it on a Hydros.

Good from both Bam & TS. The best advice given was to take a ride to Orvis / Downingtown and try it out. But if you can't I can only guess that your Hydros rod is pretty light and the 3-5 may be best. Orvis is great though, if it doesn't work out, I'm positive they would swap it out for the next size. Good luck with your new outfit!

On a 5wt Hydros, BLA II all the way. I have BLA I, II and III. BLA III is too big for that rod IMHO. When Orvis packages up Helios and Hydros, they put the BLA II on the 5wt. The BLA II will hold 5wt line and plenty of backing, though it does get a little tight with an over sized 5wt line.

Edit: They are giving free Wonderline and backing with reel purchase right now. I have 4wt Wonderline on one of my set ups and its a pretty good line IMO.

Thanks for the input!

Not the same reel, but for what it's worth I have a BMA II on my 5 wt and it balances it out nicely. I would give consideration to whether or not you would be more likely to use it with a rod in the 3-5 range or 5-7 range in the future. As as been mentioned the LA II is probably the best pairing, but take your rod with you and see for yourself!

I have a bla 3 for my 9ft 5wt helio and I like it better then the bla2....but try them both out if you can!

Back