Orvis Reel Handle

P

pwk5017

Recently bought a used helios 2 outfit with a hydros reel. For a $200+/- reel, the handle leaves a lot to be desired. It is the cheapest feeling plastic. I fished it once and decided it was worth the hour or so it would take to make one out of wood. I have a pretty high end woodshop that is a side hustle for me, so i grabbed a small scrap of bubinga(african hardwood that is kinda oily and very hard), and got to work at the lathe. For such a small and simple piece, it took a decent amount of time and care. Orvis should just use some ordinary wood from the start. The material cost cant amount to much.

Attachments

• E224F409-E8C7-45F9-A53D-8C20549FD328.jpg
    E224F409-E8C7-45F9-A53D-8C20549FD328.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 8
Nice upgrade. I have a little lathe, but would never have thought to turn a reel handle. Of course, my nicest reel only cost $100, and has a nice metal handle.

I dont do much turning myself, but i figured "why not" on this one. I will tell you, for how small and seemingly simple the object is, it was a little tricky. I ruined the first one drilling the recess and through hole for the bolt that threads into a screw in the reel housing. Nailed the second one, but isnt easy drilling multiple diameter holes in a piece thats 1" by 1/2" on the drill press.

Orvis claim that their most recent Hydros models have an "improved" handle. It's still made of plastic, though (delrin). I notice that they don't show the reel handle in any of their ads.

I suspect that the choice not to use wood in first place has to do with durability, rather than economics. Most reels, even high end ones like the Hardy Perfect have had plastic handles for a long time now. And far enough back, they were made of ivory rather than wood.

For me at least (and probably for a lot of other older anglers), from a strictly aesthetic point of view, large arbor reels are already so ugly that trying to improve their looks is a waste of time. (Yeah, I get that there are practical advantages.) Your handle is a step in the right direction, though.

redietz wrote:
Orvis claim that their most recent Hydros models have an "improved" handle. It's still made of plastic, though (delrin). I notice that they don't show the reel handle in any of their ads.

I suspect that the choice not to use wood in first place has to do with durability, rather than economics. Most reels, even high end ones like the Hardy Perfect have had plastic handles for a long time now. And far enough back, they were made of ivory rather than wood.

For me at least (and probably for a lot of other older anglers), from a strictly aesthetic point of view, large arbor reels are already so ugly that trying to improve their looks is a waste of time. (Yeah, I get that there are practical advantages.) Your handle is a step in the right direction, though.

Agreed ^ I guess the reel mfg will go back to wood handles if all anglers promise not to drop their reels, split the handles and send it back for a replacement. Such a small diameter piece of wood with a hole drilled through the center is very fragile compared to delrin (tough plastic).

Im not worried about breaking the handle, but i am curious about moisture. It was soaked inside and out with tung oil impregnated with resins. Its a product ive had success with in moist environments. Naturally, bubinga is very rot resistant(grows in swampy conditions), and its very hard.

Im not against all man made materials--My okuma helios reel has a textured rubber handle that i like--but something about this type of plastic on the orvis reel felt awful.

redietz wrote:

As an owner of multiple new and old hydros reels I would agree with this claim.

It’s a beautiful handle. Nice work.
I have to wonder, could you not have just drilled it in the lathe?
I can see I’ve got some work to do...

Yes, drilling on the lathe would be the ideal method. I dont have a tapered jacobs chuck for my lathe's tail stock, so that wasnt an option for me. Easy way to make sure your holes are dead center, plus, the chuck does all the holding for you.

I think you should find one on eBay for your lathe. I’m sure you could get that investment back pretty quickly.
There HAS to be a market for custom handles.

I just purchased a lathe from Harbor Freight with their 25% off coupon. It gets great reviews for doing stuff like turning reel seat inserts. I still need to get some other odds and ends but I'm slowly getting to the point that I can turn my own reel seat inserts. IF you don't want to turn your own I know a guy that does an amazing job at reel seats. Check out Southwest Custom Rods!

http://www.southwestcustomrods.com/

Looks like he does custom handles too. That is interesting. After doing the reel handle, i did look at the reel seat and start to think about replacing that. Maybe this winter after i find a gnarly piece of burl.

Yes, Dave, 100% correct. I actually have about $30-35,000 in my shop and make a decent side hustle out of it, but I have minimal investment in the turning aspect of it. I now see that chucks are about $30, which makes me feel foolish. I would have paid $30 to not have to hold a tiny piece of wood at the drill press. That was idiotic.

Back