Orvis Recon 2 Euro Rods

NathanLukez

NathanLukez

Has anybody had the chance to fish the new Orvis Recon in a 10ft 2 weight or 3 weight? I currently fish a Greys Streamflex 10ft 2 weight, but I was considering upgrading to the new Recon. I have looked around online but can not find much information. Any input would be much appreciated.

I'm not sure that's really much of an upgrade. They're both mid-range rods.

Yeah, that's a good point. I could go up to the Helios 3 10' 6'' 3 wt, but I didn't know if it would be worth it or not.

I started out with my introduction into euro nymphing with the introductory Orvis Clearwater combo to take the class with TCO on Spring Creek north of State Collage, PA(10' 3 wt.)

It worked fine. I caught two and hooked and lost more. It worked fine for me.

I did buy the same thing in the Recon combo and really like it even more. I do all of my fly fishing now at a R&G club in the western Poconos when I am not taking a class to learn even more about something that interests me.

If I am inviting someone to my club, I want them to learn/fish on the same basic tackle that I am fishing in terms of tackle. I start with Orvis Clearwater and then upgrade from there to Recon.

My friend who has gone on countless canoe trips with me and drives all the way from Richmond, VA doesn't own a fly rod. I lost count of how many fly rods I own and I have and never fished with, but I want him to keep making that long drive.

I own all of my late father's and grandfather's fly rods.

The guide who taught me my very first euro nymph class said that the Helios combo will let me feel the strike more so than watching it. I am sure that he is right.

I will spend the $ but went with the Recon because the Helios is too long(10' 6") to fit in my Rod Vault(10').

I have both the Helios and Recon combos in 9' 5 wt. combos, and have fished with both a lot for what I do, which is wooly buggers on fairly big water.

I think that for the $ spent, two Recons are a better value than the Helios, which I do like, but now that I know what I know, two Recon combos are better than one Helios.

My arm doesn't get as tired with the Helios as it does with the Recon, but the Helios combo is more expensive.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thank you very much for the feedback. I have a first gen recon 9ft 4 weight that I really enjoy fishing. Crazy light compared to my other rods.

if you want to go high end on a nymph stick pick up an esn/contact but honestly a nymph stick is where the mid tier rods shine like syndicates, recons, etc. that being said a buddy has a contact and it's amazing but the price, not so much.

Take a look at the Echo Shadow X.

I had the 1st gen Recon 10' 3wt euro nymph rod and got the new Recon II 10' 2wt last spring. Definitely a difference in the feel with the lighter 2wt. I am glad I made the switch.

I have a 10’ 3wt Recon that is like new condition w blank warranty card. Im thinking of upgrading to a T&T Contact II. If you’re interested in buying the Recon shoot me a pm.

Back