Orvis Recon 10' 4WT

T

tracker12

Just picked up a gently used Orvis Recon 10' 4wt from a board member. Hoping to set this up for a dedicated nymph rod. Now trying to decide what line to pair it with. Never used a chezh type line but might give it a try.

I think much of it depends on what your goal is. Are you going to want to throw dry flies with it when fish start rising or throw larger streamers with it? If so, I would say get a DT 4 wt line and use a extra long mono leader for tight lining and switch to a shorter leader for dries or streamers. If you are going to dedicate this rod to strictly nymphing, then go with one of the competition/Euro style lines.

I agree with Tim, are you going to use this rod as a one trick pony or do you want it for multiple applications? I have 2 nymph rods one rigged with Cortland Competition line and DT. The DT allows for for greater versatility and the one i use the most. As Tim suggested you can use an extra long mono leader (look up modern nymphing leader) with any fly line. Just keep in mind if you go to any FFO sections to keep your leader under 18ft.

George Daniel suggests under lining Euro nymphing rod because of how soft the rod tip can be.

I am not a Dry fly fishing guy so this will be a dedicated nymph rod. I do like to show streamers on occasions and wet flies so I am leaning towards a DT right now. Last time I was in NY I picked up sone Cortland nymph line so I will most likely give them both a try and see what works best for me.

I use a long belly WF 5wt line on my 10' 4wt.

I'm really skeptical of the utility of purpose made euro/competitive lines. They really seem like a carry over from skirting competition rules that limit leader length and require fly lines to be used.

Furthermore, I've just never had any trouble using conventional lines with any tight line or euro style techniques, and yet have the versatility I'm used to when I need it. A modern 10' 4wt rod paired with a conventional 4wt line is a very versatile rig for fishing PA. In contrast, pairing a 2 or 3wt rod with one of the comp lines might make more sense as those rods are already less versatile.

Lastly, I'm not sure there is really any tangible difference between the fine diameter comp lines and the floating running lines available to anglers fishing two handed set ups. I know that some comp lines are advertised as to having a taper, but at some of the smaller diameters and weights available, I doubt it matters. Some of these lines are very close to being level lines.

If I could spool my entire reel with 20lb Maxima, then that would be my first choice assuming my goal was to have the most efficient nymphing rig that I could. The problem with it is the coiling that would occur from doing this. The next best thing is the small diameter comp lines, they allow you to use a slightly shorter leader and if you have a true wt line. Reason being is that you really don't want ANY fly line in the guides if you are trying to stay tight to you flies/weight. The fly line weight will pull the flies towards you and it is much easier to told mono off the water than it is fly line. Even if you are using an indicator, fly line is a huge disadvantage, as again it's nearly impossible to hold fly line off the water without it pulling the indicator/flies towards you. While using a standard weight line with a longer leader is a solution to this, it has its downfalls. Mostly in that, I would much rather handle a small diameter comp line with my line hand than I would mono.

I was lucky enough to win a complete Recon 10' 4wt out fit. The line they had was a Cortland Percision 4WF floating along with an Orvis Battenkill Disc II reel.
My biggest suggestion would be to have, or get, a reel that will balance your rod. I would have bought a Disc III because I feel that the rod needs a little more weight in the butt.
As for the line, I would just get a 4WT DT line. I really feel that DT lines work great on softer rods. The Cortland line is a very nice line and if I had a fast action rod I could throw it a long way but for most CZ style nymphing you will not have much line out of the rod. It is better to use a longer leader for fishing at a distance.

I fish based on what the fish are doing on the stream. So, especially in the spring when the hatches are popping, I fish dries at least as much if not more than nymphs. The usual scenario is I fish nymphs first and switch over to dries when the hatch starts. Sometimes I'll strip streamers in the early morning hours when bigger fish may be on the prowl.

When I fish, I usually end up pretty far from my vehicle and have no use for a nymph-only rod or rig and having to return to the vehicle to get another rod to fish something else. I look for a versatile rod and rig that can do it all and change over easily.

I catch plenty of fish tight-line nymphing using a standard WF trout line. I use a furled butt that I hand-furl myself, and a knotted leader stepped down to my tippet. My leaders are typically 18-20' long. I use a spots of strike putty on my leader and tippet knots to use as my sighter and I can easily can change over to dries in a few minutes by clipping off my long tippet and removing the strike putty. I can also easily rig to fish streamers if the fish are chasing that day.

I know a lot of guys buy euro nymphing lines. A secret that no fly shop or line manufacturer will tell you it that it's just running line, like found on the back end of a WF line. Anyone can just cut off the back an old line or simply reverse the line head-first and running line out. Also you can buy a long spool of running line that's made to attach to shooting heads that many SW anglers use.

One problem I always seem to have is my fly line sagging down and not being able to keep the line taught. And I’m sure this does whatcha s been mentioned and pull the fly towards me. I might just try using the back of some old line and see how it works would you want to still use a 4wt line on this rod

tracker12 wrote:
One problem I always seem to have is my fly line sagging down and not being able to keep the line taught. And I’m sure this does whatcha s been mentioned and pull the fly towards me. I might just try using the back of some old line and see how it works would you want to still use a 4wt line on this rod

An easy fix mentioned above is to use 20lb +/- mono or thin running line. Just remove your conventional leader and attached 30' or so of mono or thin running line to the end of your fly line. It really easy to make a loop with a nail knot of two and coat it for a quick loop-to-loop connection and removal.

You can have the coil of line already set up with a sighter and tippet attached and ready for nymphing. To change over to dries or something else just remove the mono leader or running line, coil it back up and re-attach your regular leader.

This works well, I have done it. Running line is okay since it's fly line, but a long mono rig is not legal to use in FFO reg areas.

Under the new PA FFO regulations, there is no limit to how long your leader can be. So, a mono rig would be Okay.

TYoung wrote:
Under the new PA FFO regulations, there is no limit to how long your leader can be. So, a mono rig would be Okay.

The rule states 18' of leader / mono is max in FFO areas.

From the PFBC site 2018 Summary of Regulations:

CATCH AND RELEASE FLY-FISHING ONLY

Open to fishing year-round.
Fishing is permitted on a 24-hour basis.
No trout may be killed or had in possession.
Fishing may be done with artificial flies and streamers constructed of natural or synthetic materials, so long as all flies are constructed in a normal fashion with components wound on or about the hook. Fishing must be done with tackle limited to fly rods, fly reels and fly line with a maximum of 18 feet in leader material or monofilament line attached. Anything other than these items is prohibited.
Taking baitfish or fishbait is prohibited.
Wading is permitted unless otherwise posted.
An angler in a boat may possess bait and fish caught in compliance with the seasons, sizes and creel limits in effect for a water from which it was taken, provided that the boat angler floats through the Catch and Release Fly-Fishing Only area without stopping or engaging in the act of fishing or the boat angler puts in or takes out his boat at an access point within the Catch and Release Fly-Fishing Only area.
A current trout/salmon permit (or Combination Trout/Salmon/Lake Erie permit) is required.

Back