Orvis Question

guttrap

guttrap

Maybe this should be in the gear section but I kind of need a quick answer. Does anyone know what a small "R" stamped into the cork of an Orvis rod might signify? A co worker wants to sell me a T3, it's looks brand new, with the exception of the "R". I'm pretty sure that it was but there by Orvis.

My guess its a refurbished or demo type rod that would not be under warranty.

Maurice

That was my thought as well, he only wants $240.00 for it. I know that's a lot to pay for a rod (for me at least) but they are around $450.00 normally. I may have to go for it.

So what do you guys think? Should I go for it, or save my money?

Me personally? For that price i would get a new St. Croix. I'm not extremely fond of Orvis rods, but then I haven't tried very many of them.

I have an Orvis Rocky Mountain, that has been pretty good to me. I've been wanting a T3 for some time now, it's just going to be tough justifying this to the wife. She's pretty frugal.

Well then do yourself a favor and don't buy a top name rod without a guarantee. penny wise, dollar foolish. You can find those rods at pretty good prices once they fall off the "new rod" rack.

There is a sporting goods store in Hanover that had a bunch of them for sale at around $240 last year. Probably still do.

There is a saying I like that doesn't fit exactly here...but, Buy the best and only cry once. Although I don't and spend a lot on kleenex.

There is a store called :"adams oulet" on ebay they stamp an R on the handle so that you cannot go to the orvis store and exchange it for something else. Most of the product they sell is new or barely used.

"THIS ROD IS NEW AND COMES WITH ORIGINAL TUBE. TUBE MAY HAVE SCRATCHES DUE TO SHIPPING. THE CORK IS MARKED WITH A SMALL "R" SO THAT IT CANNOT BE RETURNED TO ORVIS FOR A FULL REFUND. ORVIS WILL REPAIR THIS ROD FOR A FEE."

LINK: http://stores.ebay.com/Adams-Outlet-Fly-Fishing

hope this helps!
Joe

P.S. I believe these rods are bought at Orvis auction or bulk sales.

Good advice Maurice. I'll certainly take it into consideration. I like that saying, I'll have to try it on my wife. If it was up to her, I'd be fishing with a Zebco. Or one of those fish pens I see advertising on TV. Although come to think of it, they may not be such a bad idea in a survival situation, Bear Grylls would probably love one.

Thanks Joe that does help. I wonder what that fee might be?

an R means refurbished. refurbished means no warrenty. (i believe that the orvis warrenty is only for 25 years anyway). i doubt adams outlet stamps the r on the rods. they probably come from orvis that way. (at a recent warehouse sale, orvis was selling T3s at rock bottom prices around $200 but they were all marked with the r)

of course orvis will work on your rod for a fee. i can't imagine it being a nominal one though.

my advise is if you're spending that much money, you're spending that money for a warrenty. get a rod that comes with one.

Good point maybe I'll let this one get away. But hey it is a T3 nonetheless.

If you really want a T3, check if the Orvis tent sale will be in your area. Your coworker might actually be charging you a small markup on the rod.

Check out some TFO rods. I've loved the ones I've test cast, and for less than you'd spend on the T3, you can get their top of the line rod with a lifetime warranty.

Another thought. If you haven't done so, go to the Orvis store and compare the T3 to the TLS and Clearwater. I really like both.

I purchased an Orvis Rod on e-bay and simply sanded the cork to remove the "R". ;) :-D

My advice before buying any rod is to cast it first. No matter what the label is, you might not like the way the rod feels in your hands when casted. If the warranty is gone, that would certainly deter me.

TFO makes some nice rods as others have mentioned, but I'm hooked on the Launch Series from Sage. When I casted these rods, they just felt great, no matter what the price. They're also under $200 and have a lifetime warranty:)

Maurice

What you need is a new pair of good waders, man you're hard of waders!

My offer from yesterday still stands :)

PaulG

Smitty you can sand the "R" off with sandpaper and Orvis will honor their product. So Im told from the shop I worked at. Talk to you soon bud. P.S the Sheriff is talking smack, I told hime he better pack a lunch! Ha ha ha

I got it bro, it's pretty sweet and brand new. You'll have to give it a few throws next time you're up. Yeah the sheriff is something. He caught his first trout on a dry fly the other night and now he's an expert. It's great because he's been tying and talking trout ever since. I guess my old Rocky Mountain will be getting passed down to him.

Back