orvis pack

flytier77

flytier77

Does anyone have or seen the orvis safe passage sling pack. was thinking about getting one, just thought someones opion would help. Thanks:)

I have seen it and considered buying one to repace my chest pack. It's on sale so I don't think you can go wrong. Let us know what your thoughts are on it if you pull the trigger.
http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=96Y1&dir_id=1137&group_id=1157&cat_id=12021&subcat_id=12022

I have used the sling pack for the majority of the season. There are things about it I love and things that I am not a huge fan of. Overall I would give it a thumbs up, but here is my opinion.

I love the fact that you sling the pack around to the back while you are fishing so it is completely out of the way. It is light weight and comfortable to carry.

The cons are that there is no D ring for a net and there are no real solid dividers so the inside ends up looking like my wife's purse if you don't organize your things carefully. The clip on piece is relatively useless and does not attache very securely in my opinion.

For the money, I think it is a great pack if you are looking to travel light it is perfect. If you are looking for a pack to carry a ton of gear, this is probably not the pack for you.

I mentioned it in the other thread, and I've extolled its virtues before.

Pitt...there's a D ring on the shoulder strap perfect for a net, plus I've got a carabiner in the "zinger drop tube" for another mount.

A couple split rings across the band, and it really opened up its usage.

From an earlier thread, I put up a picture...

4866239442_c981c7b1ee_b.jpg

A little ingenuity really makes it more functional, but you're right on the purse effect.

I've used one now for a full season and love it....
as gfen stated, there is a Dring that sits right around your sholder - I use that for my net without any issues.

the only criticism that I have for the pack is that it hangs kinda low down back - I've dipped it in the water more than once when wading above the waist....

It was perfect as well on the beach this summer with my spin outfit...

Not sure where you're located, but I'll let mine go for $25. Used, but in good condition. Shoot me a PM if interested.

I have this orvis pack, I've been using it for about 4years now. Very well made pack, It's easy to take off and on. You can wear it behind ur back or infront. If im wading in deeper water, I wear it in front of me, to prevent from getting it wet. It's also very comfortable.

Gfen... agreed. the way it fits me, the d ring is too far up on my shoulder and the net flops over on my casting shoulder. I just switched my net to the the back of my suspenders on my waders and solved the problem.

I am pretty picky about having too much stuff that flops around so I have finally got it all positioned perfectly and feel pretty much in "Zen" with my sling pack!

I got it for $25 with three spools of tippet last week, thanks to coupons. Looking forward to giving it a try.

I would definitely look bam up if you're looking for one. Apparently they are scarce right now.

I love mine and will consider getting the newer version after my local shop gets it in stock.

I solved the problem of the flimsy clip on pouch attachment by simply tying a loop of nylon cord through the connection. The plastic clasp can come undone and I won't lose the pouch. The extra pouch increases storage and organization significantly IMO.

Kev

Back