Orvis or Sage

patrapper90

patrapper90

I want to buy a 3 or 4 weight for smaller streams.What would you reconmend. If you see this kid below on fishing creek dont be shy. Come say hello.

Im the one in brown.

Go to a fly shop and cast a few. No idea what your casting stroke looks like, nor your budget. Go test em.

Jay's recommendation is a good one.

I was in the same situation a few weeks back. I was between Sage and Orvis. I went to Orvis and a fly shop to cast them. The one Sage that I thought I would like was awful. The more expensive Sage one really felt right but it was about 150 more than the Orvis one that I liked. I went with Orvis. Both have very good warranties. Orvis will fix or replace no questions asked. And speaking from someone that has broken a rod doing something stupid, that's a good thing.

You can't go wrong between the two brands.

Both are good brands, but known for two different things.

Sage is known for fast action rods. Those that like them say there's no "line cannon" more powerful.

Orvis is known for slow action rods (although they make slow, fast and mdm action rods). Those that like them, say the presentation is wonderful. And that's my preference!

I have 2 Sage rods and 3 Orvis rods and I prefer the Orvis ones
just my 2c

4 wt Orvis 7' Superfine or TLS would be my pick. 7' TXL in the Sage. The Sage is quicker and lighter than both orvises.

I see you’re from Lamar. I would take the short ride down to Fly Fisherman’s Paradise in State College, and cast some of the Sage and Orvis rods you are thinking about buying. Also, I would try out a Winston or two while you’re there. All three companies make quality rods – yet they are all different in their own sort of way. The guys at FFP can really help you select the best one for you – good luck.

Yes, add a Winston WT to your short list. Cast them all.

Depending on your budget, you might want to look at a TFO.

One question: has Orvis gotten rid of the Clearwater line? Last time I looked, they weren't on their site.

Unless you want to fork over more than $500 for a brookie crick rod, go with Orvis, no doubt. The sage's low end rods are dogs, plus they have a really limited offering. Sage can't seem to do anything worthwhile for less than $400. They are a great top-end rod manufacturer, but blow dead bear at the low end. I find that inexcusable from them, but that's another issue.
The Orivs TLS will make you happy for $330.

Syl

Get off to a Fly-fishing show and cast the rods you are interested in at the show. Many times shops offer show specials on rods.

I sold my Sage on Ebay last year. When everything was perfect, yes it was a cannon. But everything is not perfect, and you do not always need a cannon. My deciding moment in selling the rod was my inability to make a short cast and a difficult mend to a 20+" brown on the Delaware. He was junk eating and for over a half hour I tried but could not get the proper control to drift a fly over his nose. He was only 20-25 feet away, but in a very difficult lie. The next time I fished the Delaware I brought my winston Ibis 4 wt and was able to see the difference in control. I sold my sage, bought a 5 wt IBIS. I found that the medium action suits my casting style a lot better.

I also fished a friends G2 Scott last year on the gunpowder. I am thinking of replacing my 4wt with that. Very soft tip, but a lot of power in the middle of the rod.

The suggestions to try a rod are excellent, but also don't be afraid to ask for advice in making your selection.

While I do not own any Orvis rods, I have experienced their superb customer service, and that is worth considering.

I really like the Winston B2t's. They were soft and give me excellent presentation... even though it still not too great.

Jerseygeorge,

I have the Scott G2 in 4 wt - 7'7" 4 piece. It is the most versatile best all around rod i have used.

I had the time of my life fishing with my Sage FLi last year! The "work of art" was only $255 compaired to my last rod, a Avid which was $100 on sale at Cabelas.

But checking the rod specs, the Orvis are lighter and less expensive....... for the low end rods. I just hope the Orvis aren't slow rods..... I will only use a super fast. If you want to shell out a grand, then get a Helios or a Z-Axis.

This year I'll upgrade to a superlite outfit. I'll sell all my used stuff on eBay. I'll check them out, I like a super fast and super lite rod. I'll report my purchase here on paflyfish.

If Orvis are slow rods, that wouldn't be for me. A slow rod is a low modulus graphite, IM6? with a big markup!!

Come on spring!

Back