Orvis Mirage

F

fisherboy3

Does anyone in here fish these reels? I have a version one and new one now. On the old version I know you can loosen the drag so when you strip line out quick it will get tangled, thats how loose it is. On the new one you cant do this. But fighting a big fish today, its almost like I had to strip out line for the fish to run even when the drag knob was all the way lose. Any thoughts? The reel has been used maybe three times.

fisherboy3 wrote:
Does anyone in here fish these reels? I have a version one and new one now. On the old version I know you can loosen the drag so when you strip line out quick it will get tangled, thats how loose it is. On the new one you cant do this. But fighting a big fish today, its almost like I had to strip out line for the fish to run even when the drag knob was all the way lose. Any thoughts? The reel has been used maybe three times.

I doesn't sound like it's working right. I suggest you take it to back to the store for them to send back to the repair department or replace.

Make it your Brookie reel. :p

Yeah, sounds like there's something wrong with it. I've had reels do that before, but they were $50 range reels. Wouldn't expect that from something of that quality. If it's that new I'd just let Orvis's warranty deal with it. If it was older, and I was concerned about them not covering or replacing it for some reason, then I'd be more apt to take it apart and try to self diagnose/repair.

Some disc drags (generally inexpensive ones) have memory if you leave them stored with the drag partially engaged. Still, good advice to remember to back your drag all the way off when you're done fishing for the day. Again, I wouldn't expect that from something of that quality though.

Alright thanks guys. Going to send it back.

Update;

Sent the reel back to orvis. Got it back within 2 weeks. Orvis is great on their customer service!

Back