Orvis is offering H-2 on closeout, buyer beware.

M

MarkC

I purchased an Orvis H-2 and had it break while casting within 15 minutes on the first outing. No problem I thought send it back and get it fixed.

Sent it back, got an email notice that the rod was not guaranteed because it was purchased on closeout and the fee to repair the rod was $175. I decided that was not acceptable and told them to keep the rod.

After researching I found out that the H-2s have a design flaw and lots of them are breaking like mine did. Time to get my money back.

Thankfully I paid with a credit card, so I gathered information (Orvis guarantee, breakage issues others have had) and filed a claim to have the charges reversed with my card company, if this did not work I’d bring them to small claims court and make it very public.

I informed Orvis of my actions and they agreed to rebate the rod for selling a defective product. I got my money and purchased an NRX, sad to say that a foreign owned company has far better customer service than a US one.

I don’t know if the design flaws inherent to the H-2s have been fixed on the h-3s, I’m not about to find out.

Mark C

I have an H2 12wt. that was a recent upgrade for my Clearwater rod that broke on me 2 times!!

I have had no issues with the new H2 rod and use it quite often recently. I certainly hope that it has a warranty since I didn't get it as closeout, but rather an upgrade option from my broken Clearwater. rod I assume it does have the same 25 year warranty, but I guess they are changing their rules??

they agreed to rebate the rod for selling a defective product.
WoW ...... they actually admitted to you that they had sold you "a defective product" ? Was that verbally or in writing ?

Should have bought a Sage X , if u wanted Made in USA

I sold my H2 and bought a Safe X. The Sage X better rod than the H2 in my opinion.

Mark- Can you PM me your repair # so that I can look into this issue?

Did you purchase the rod at an Orvis Retail store, orvis dealer or orvis.com?

Our fly rod warranty is here http://www.orvis.com/s/fly-rod-repair/2730

Was the rod a H2 One Piece or Outlet rod?

Completely different experience with something similar with the Helios ZG. Orvis exchanged it even though it had been on closeout.

Might want to give them a call again.

Something sounds fishy (heyoooo). I've broken a few Orvis rods over the years and have never been asked to show proof of purchase. Something is weird there.... Was it a refurbished/outlet rod or something?

I'm also surprised by this.
Orvis's customer service has always been outstanding in my experience. I've never had a problem getting something exchanged or a refund - with no hassle.

There also seems to be a lack of "research" information out there of H2 issues.

FWIW - In my experience the two best customer service companies out there are Orvis & L.L. Bean. I could write a book on the stuff Orvis has done for me over the years and to be honest, I'm far from their best customer.

I purchased the rod at the Orvis store in Lancaster. In a way I'm glad it snapped after a few casts, love the NRX and have never had a problem with Loomis customer service. Fool me once.

Breakage problems:
https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/324568-helios-2-6-wt.html

Mark C

MarkC wrote:
I purchased the rod at the Orvis store in Lancaster. In a way I'm glad it snapped after a few casts, love the NRX and have never had a problem with Loomis customer service. Fool me once.

Breakage problems:
https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/324568-helios-2-6-wt.html

Mark C

Sorry for the problem you've had with your Orvis H2 rod.

To clear things up, rods purchased at an outlet, the Lancaster outlet store in this case, are "Refurbished" rods and are not guaranteed. They are marked with an "R" on the handle of the rod.

While the first generation of Helios rods (H1) were more prone to breakage, the H2 line of Orvis rods first introduced in 2012 have been very durable. I own 4 H2 rods and have sold many to customers. I have never had an issue with any of my rods in the last five years or so of heavy fishing and my experience in the store has been that very few rods were brought back for repair since their introduction in 2012.

The next iteration of Helios rods, the H3 line is now in the process of replacing the H2. Orvis says they are stronger than the H2, so only time and a lot of fishing hours will tell.

BTW, the link is to a forum thread from 2013 from one guy that broke his rod. The guides mentioned in the post were commenting on their past experience with Orvis rods. Most of the following posts stated the rods did not have a breakage problem.

Anyway, Loomis also makes some fine rods. If you really like Loomis, stick with them.

Just so I understand it: Orvis is blowing out H-2 rods all over the internet but if you by one at an Orvis store it has no guarantee.

I was truly shocked by the attitude Orvis had.

Mark C

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for the rod? I have more than a dozen orvis rods and love them. Sure I've broken some and had to send them back for repair but wouldnt say they are defective. Don't get me wrong I've had issues with orvis products but the customer service has been nothing short of fantastic when problems arise. If you're getting an $800 rod for $200-$300 I get why they would not warranty it. They are selling it at or below their cost. The rods that are on sale via the internet are discounted but not that heavily.

MarkC wrote:
Just so I understand it: Orvis is blowing out H-2 rods all over the internet but if you by one at an Orvis store it has no guarantee.

Mark C

Here is a list of Orvis outlet stores. They generally sell refurb rods at a deep discount, but without a warranty.

Rods sold at regular retail stores or on-line are at full price and have a warranty.

I think you have to eat some crow here and admit you bough a refurbished rod at an outlet store which you haven't done. Can't put a company on full blast without being objective about it. If I were buying the same rod I would be asking the necessary questions before purchasing which it sounds like you didn't do. I like Orvis rods but also have rods from other companies. I don't have any skin in the game to defend them over any other company but bottom line is you can't blast a company on a forum without stating all the facts.

afishinado wrote:
MarkC wrote:

Mark C

Here is a list of Orvis outlet stores. They generally sell refurb rods at a deep discount, but without a warranty.

Rods sold at regular retail stores or on-line are at full price and have a warranty.

I assume if you were to pick up an H2 on sale from a retailer like backcountry it is still carries the warranty right?

ryansheehan wrote:
afishinado wrote:
MarkC wrote:

Mark C

I assume if you were to pick up an H2 on sale from a retailer like backcountry it is still carries the warranty right?

Yes. Only Refurb rods are not warranted.

IMO the op should be applauding Orvis for its customer service, not bashing them.

If Orvis has a policy in place regarding refurbished rods, they should stick to it. They went against their own policy to appease a customer who complained and threatened them. Doing that is not fair to other Orvis customers who could possibly be in the same situation, but accept and understand that Orvis does not warranty refurbished product's.

The op threatened Orvis with "making the matter very public" if they didnt do what he wanted. Yet he still posted the situation on the www after they gave him his money back, seems very unethical and vindictive.

Good luck, Tony

I'm not sure about orvis, but typically refurbed rods or 2nds or demos have something burned into the cork to identify it as such. That way the rod is marked so it cannot be returned.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. Spend what you are comfortable spending, all rods will catch fish.

Back