Orvis Hydros

mcwillja

mcwillja

Has anybody casted or fished with Orvis's new Hydros rods? More specifically the 4wt rod? or know of anyone who has? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Jason

I haven't used the Hydros yet, but have heard a lot of good things about it. I've used a Helios in a 9' 5 wt. a bunch of times, and i love that. The Hydros is supposedly made out of mostly the same materials, with only a few minor modifications to lower the price.

I just cast a Hydros and a Helios this weekend. I cast a 9' 5wt Hydros and a 10' 4wt Helios. They were both very nice. Both the rods I cast were tip flex rods. I was very impressed with the hydros. The Helios did cast a little better, but it was not enough to spend an extra $250. Both rods are very lightweight and load line effortlessly.

My local flyshop up here in Syracuse was offering a nice deal on the hydros ($450.00) so I bought the Hydros 864-4. The rod feels awesome. I will be fishing with it this weekend and will try and post some feedback when I get back.

I used my new Hydros 9' 6wtSW yesterday, I did not like it, Too light and I could not balance it properly even with a lamson light speed.
If it was not a replacement for a broken rod I would have preferred a Sage. For what it is worth my Sage 5wt 9' XP is a much better rod.

The Hydros uses the same blank as the Helios. It just using less expensive components.

I fished Spring Creek on saturday with my new 8'6" 4wt Hydros. This rod is simply awesome for the price. I can't say enough how smoothly it casts and how light it is 2 3/8 oz. I am very happy with this rod and would recommend it to anyone. It roll casts nice and has some backbone for a midflex 4 wt. It handles the fish nicely too. Highly recommended.

Back