Orvis Hydros Nymph Line

5alp

5alp

Anybody use one? I like throwing bobbers/indies with multi fly rigs. I sometimes feel like I need a lot more line out than necessary to load the rod properly with a normal weight forward taper. The taper on the hydros looks interesting in that it has a very aggressive front taper which in my mind means I could load it easier with less line and therefore less false casts. Less false casts with 2 or 3 nymphs is always welcome.

One other thing I was thinking of trying is to cut off some line off the front of a regular weight forward line and see if that mimics what the $80 hydros line is doing on a line I already own. Anybody do this? Am I off in left field??

I have it. It's good, but I liked the Rio indicator line better. Interesting idea to cut back a standard line. depending on what line weight you are looking for, take a peek at bass and steelhead tapers

I use it. It came with the setup when I bought my Clearwater nymphing rod a few years ago. I attached a tapered mono leader that I made that's around 10 feet long plus a few feet of sighter. Works well. The line is pretty light but it still casts better than an all mono leader.

Last edited:
Back