Orvis Fullflex A-Fly/Spin Combo 7' 3 &1/8 oz 6wt

widowmaker121

widowmaker121

Can anyone point me in the right direction of what I have here, or the right place to look? I can't find any year, I tried looking at older Orvis catalogs, but I only find full flex, not full flex A. From what I can make out it is marked as an Orvis Fullflex A-fly/spin combo 7' 3 1-8 oz 6wt and then a set of initials, or letters that I can't make out. Anyway, as I am clearing out stuff from my folk's place I can't decide if I should I use it, sell it, or set it up to display in my office?

Image 50431233
Image 67191553
Image 67181825

Image 50425601

orvis fullflex a-fly/spin combo 7' 3 1-8 oz 6wt and then a set of initials, or letters that I can't make out

Image 67187713

Brown Fullflex A blanks are circa 1980's Orvis rods built on Phillipson blanks. Most that have handled these (myself included) always lean toward faster and stiffer than the rating would indicate. For your 6wt, id probably start with a 7 and see how it feels to you. The spin/flys kind of favored the spin fisherman or the day and were generally stiffer with fast tips.

The letters you quite can't make out are probably ly HDH or HDG which standard fly line designations for WF6 and DT6 respectively before we all adopted the AFTMA designations we use today.

Yours looks to be in excellent condition and you'd probably find a buyer if you were looking. It's a great piece but if you're accostomed modern fly rods, it might be a little too broom handle for you.

Thanks for the information.

Dear widowmaker,

If I were you I would at least fish it once or twice. Looking at it now I doubt it was ever fished, and fishing rods need to be fished to feel complete. ;)

But if you feel that it is a keepsake to serve as a reminder of your parents that's fine as well. It's your choice alone.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Try contacting Orvis
1-800-548-9548
I did this last week via email. They provided the same information that jeffroey posted above. The only new information they conveyed to me was that A refers to the color, Amber. They also pointed me to the fiberglass rodbuilders forum where there was a little more information available.

Back