Orvis Clearwater Rod

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I'm in the market for a new rod, and just checked this one out. Looking for a new 9'5wt.

Anyone own or cast this rod? Seems to be about a medium/fast action.

never cast one, but sometimes orvis makes special offers, like a free real when you buy a rod, so you might want to check and see if something like that will be available soon and if it will apply to your purchase.

I have a 8' Clearwater II. I love it. On the faster side of mid-fast if you ask me.

I messed with one in bass pro yesterday. I'd say more the medium side of fast. When I touch a fast rod they feel crazy stiff to me. But then again maybe due to the fact it was "midflex" made it seem not as stiff.

I have a 7'6" 5wt Clearwater or Clearwater II, always forget which one I have lol. Anyway I love it, casts great.

bikerfish wrote:
never cast one, but sometimes orvis makes special offers, like a free real when you buy a rod, so you might want to check and see if something like that will be available soon and if it will apply to your purchase.

Thanks Alan. I think recently the deals have been for the higher end products (hydros/helios)

This rod comes in at a hair under $200, so I'd highly doubt a free $100+ reel will be accompanying it.

I'm not jumping on anything just yet, so who knows what deals may be around the corner.

Wait until demo day out at Volant and pick up a $25-off Orvis coupon. Ask Bob when he's going to have it it this year and wait til then.

Kev

ryguyfi wrote:
I'm in the market for a new rod, and just checked this one out. Looking for a new 9'5wt.

Anyone own or cast this rod? Seems to be about a medium/fast action.

I have the Clearwater II tip flex 9 foot 5 weight. My favorite rod I own.

I also have this rod. 9' 5wt. Casts everything pretty well. I agree that its on the medium side of fast. Its a very forgiving rod. I love fishing with it, its a great rod for the money. The new ones are now green instead of the blue that I have.

I have a 10' 7wt and a 7'6" 3wt.....both are the older blue version
and both are mid flex......the new green versions don't have different types of flex available (just looked at orvis online) but the older blue versions of the clearwater II came in tip flex or mid flex........my mid flexes are much slower than other rods I have had in the past and much slower than the sage 5 wt I have now but I can't tell you how the newer models feel

In the latest issue of fly fisherman magazine, there is a small piece in the gear section about the best rod values. And the have the clearwater listed is being the best rod for under $250

We have them in stock at the Downingtown Orvis. Come on in and cast them if anyone would like.

Bob at IA spoke highly of them and said it was well worth the jump from the $150 models he had in stock at the shop. I will most likely go down and cast a few rods when I'm ready to buy but it felt great in hand. I'll give a report once I decide what I'm going to get. Leaning towards the Clearwater so far though.

I own the 9' 5wt Clearwater Mid Flex.

Great rod. I need to replace it because of a certain Letort Brown and a tree. ;-)
It does cast everything wonderful and also pairs very well with a BBS III. I bought the rod for the Lackawanna River but use it now for just about everything. Smallies fight awesome on it!

I will say it was nice having to break out the superfine though. I forgot how much I love that rod.

I have an English BBS III, so that helps!

Thanks Sal. How are you going to explain the 2 separate breaks on the same rod??? lol

25 years ago the clear water design and tapers were top of line for orvis, they brought it back out with new color and different hardware..
I have a 9' 9wt mid 9 thats a saltwater cannon, and a 7'6" 3wt. identical to the superfine model. They made a 6'6" 4 wt that was really incredible, beadhead2 has one, only certain dealers had them..

Broken Orvis rods can be brought into the Orvis stores and we can fill out the paperwork, pack it up and ship it back to Vermont for you. No requirement to explain the reason why the rod broke but we do love hearing a good story.

OrvisDowningtown wrote:
Broken Orvis rods can be brought into the Orvis stores and we can fill out the paperwork, pack it up and ship it back to Vermont for you. No requirement to explain the reason why the rod broke but we do love hearing a good story.

No need for the rod to have "papers?" ;-)

Ok, that's awesome service. I've got this rod on my wishlist and now I know that when the $$ rolls in for an upgrade, I'll be getting the 9' 5wt for general use and the 10' 7wt for steels.

streamerguy wrote:
I have a 7'6" 5wt Clearwater or Clearwater II, always forget which one I have lol. Anyway I love it, casts great.

I have the same in a 4wt, great casting rod have no issues recommending it.

Back