Orvis Clearwater Reel?

greenghost

greenghost

I simply cannot bring myself to pay more than $100 for a fly reel --
especially one used primarily for small trout. I was thinking of the Orvis Clearwater Classic (disc-drag). Does anybody out there have one? Are they worth $50 or are they overpriced composite junk?
Thanks!

Paul, I've never owned one, but from looking at them, they don't look like anything special that you couldn't get for a few bucks cheaper. One could say the same about my clearwater breathables, but I bought them with Orvis. Have you looked at the Okuma products? I've owned the Cascade LA and really like it. Drag works like Day 1 5 years later and they're about $30. The Sierra is the standard arbor product that goes for about $40, but I've no direct experience. I do trust Okuma and have needed customer service because I broke the reel foot and they were very easy to deal with.

I'm also looking into the clearwater II reel to replace my old loud POS reel. seems like this is the cheapest option though that still retains any kind of quality name. It was recommended to me by salvelinus fontinalis as a cheaper alternative than his titanium version. I'm still looking but think i may order from the evening rise fly shop to avoid shipping fees direct from orvis.

Thanks Jack,
I looked into Okuma products, but I was actually trying to support FFP by buying one of their reels. It was between the Clearwater or Battenkill. But there's even a $30 difference between those two.

I can second the okumas.

I have a Clearwater reel, and while almost any reel would work fine for smaller fish, this wouldn't be my first choice for sure. The drag gear is plastic, the reel has a crappy finish, and it's really heavy. I'd rather have an Okuma Sierra than the Clearwater.

Of course, I'd rather have a Battenkill than a Sierra - the drag is a much better design on the Battenkill. The Sierra is a caliper style disc drag, and the drag pad (think disc brake on a car sort of) is pretty small. The drag setting on the Sierra I once owned also used to change all by itself, and the knob was easy to bump, because it was at the top of the side plate.

The Battenkill (both the original and the BBS) have a drag with a larger surface contact area, and metal gears(brass for the original Battenkill, stainless for the BBS). They're both lifetime reels, and Orvis says so with the guarantee.

If it were me, I'd pony up for the Battenkill.

i have the BBS II and wouldnt have it anyother way. I love that reel.

Heritage Angler,
Thanks for the top-notch breakdown and ratings.
I think it may be Battenkill, after all.

Yes I have one also. It's really nothing special. Don't get me wrong it does the job but I usually use a Cortland cassette style for trout and bass around here. The Clearwater is always in the truck as a back up though. If I had my dithers on it though I think I'd rather be running a Hardy Perfect. Yes there are times I live in a real damp dream......

Back