Orvis CFO III Limited Edition?

Longbow

Longbow

What do you know about the LE CFO III. I have the opportunity to get one for my new 3wt Superfine Glass rod. They were made in Asia. Trying to decide between that one and a new US made CFO III. The LE model looks brand new. Believe the LE CFO III is about the same size as the new CFO II.
Thanks.

I bought one in 1972 along with a spare spoo lwhen they were made by Hardy in England. It is my favorite reel bar none for Trout, and small fishes. The sound it makes when the fish strips off line is not duplicated by any other reel that I have heard. You can pick them up used for a better price than what is offered today in the limited edition model. Tight lines in NJ had one a while ago check their sight it may be still there.

I don't even have to look to tell you that its wildly overpriced and the same size as the CFO II, because that's the point of making a wildly overpriced "limited edition" reel.

Unless you have a real desire to spend money, a burning desire to look like a page out of their spring catalogue, or are simply stupid there's no reason to buy any of their clickers above their $100 Battenkill.

Full Disclosure: I own 2 LE CFO123s from like 10 years ago because they cost me the same as the offset versions, and they didn't make a $100 clicker at the time.

Gfen,
I guess I am just stupid as I bought the new US made CFO III. It's new but got a good deal on it.

If you are happy with it, then why do you the need approval of members on this board? Some just like to stir up trouble and make you re-think your purchase. If you enjoy it and got it for a deal, the only step now is get out there and catch some fish!

The new CFOs are great reels. I have 4 hardy made CFOs in different sizes(and sold 3 others) and I have a US CFO II. I think the US made one is the best. There are a lot of cheaper reels that do the same thing, but I'll probably use it for the rest of my life. My only complaint is that I hate the neoprene case, the old leather ones to me are a lot cooler.

Longbow wrote:
Gfen,
I guess I am just stupid as I bought the new US made CFO III. It's new but got a good deal on it.

Better than the "limited edition" version. The real ones are made by Abel and better than the BFR ones.

I have the CFO paired with my Superfine Glass 4wt. I love it. Total old school set up and it fishes awesome. I would also recommend DT line for that glass rod.

Its my new favorite rod. Orvis hit it out of the park.

Back