Orvis BBS vs regular disk drag battenkill

Wildfish

Wildfish

Couldn't find a clear answer to this from the website. Is weight and strength the only difference? Is the BBS a better made reel over all, or is it just made of better material?
Thanks!

As far as I can tell, the materials and weight are two distinct differences. The BBS is machined from 6262T aluminum and it specifically calls that out on Orvis' website. Looking at the Orvis catalogue I have, the Battenkill is cast, not machined. The drag system is likely upgraded in the BBS as well, but I would expect them to be fairly similar.

To answer your questions:

Yes, the BBS is the better made overall reel, made with superior materials. With that said, the Battenkill obviously has something going for it since it's been around so long. Opinions vary as far as trout reels. Many feel it's nothing more than a spool to hold line, my opinion is different.

Personally, I am a huge fan of the Battenkill Mid Arbor, the drag on that reel is unreal for the price and it's a fully machined reel. They're also on sale.

The mid arbor would be too heavy for my purposes--this is for a 3wt brookie rod. Bar stock would be ideal since it's so light, but I hate spending even $100 on what is effectively a pretty line holder. Even the rare 14" brookie isn't going to require drag.

For the application you mentioned, no doubt the BBS would be the lightest and one I'd recommend, price aside. If you aren't looking to spend a lot of money, then you may need to sacrifice some added weight. Clearly you won't need the drag for brookie fishing, but if you had it, it could be used as a backup for larger trout.

Maybe Okuma Sierra series, Medalist?

I use a vintage medalist 1492 and also an older battenkill for brookie fishing, both have worked great for over 20 years. the BBS is an excellent reel, that you can sometimes get on sale for not much more than the regular battenkill, which would make it my choice if I were purchasing today. a hardy lightweight is a nice brookie reel, but they ain't cheap!
opinions vary, but I like to buy reels that have been in production for a while and will hopefully continue to be in production, just in case mine would need parts or repaired. I hate to think I'm spending 100 plus on a reel that the manufacturer thinks is obsolete in a year.

I use a BBS on a 7'6" 3wt. all the time, balances nice.

Light?

http://www.jaustinforbes.com/avon.html

Buy the 2" and use half a DT line if you must, 1.6oz.

http://www.jaustinforbes.com/magreel.html

The Mg model is for a 4WF, 2.2oz.

Check your favourite auction site for deals, too.

That is light gfen--but a little pricey.
I can get the BBS for about $30 more than the regular Battenkill, so I may do that. They'll even go down on the line price and throw in the backing, so I figure I can't loose. I was kind of anti Orvis for a while, but a recent slingpack purchase as turned me around.

Not for the rods just yet--I picked up a little Scott for that part of the setup.

Wildfish wrote:
That is light gfen--but a little pricey.

Its $50 for half the weight, thats not too bad...plus, they're always on ebay.

The ultralight forum has some discussions on light reels, which is where I know the Forbes from. TJ's Bearsden is a regular contributer. and sells this old school classic for $25:
http://www.tjsbearden.net/servlet/the-17/Fishon-Bear-Cub-Raised/Detail

I just got a BBS III and spare spool for the Hydros Rod im buying.
I already own a BBS II for my superfine and I cannot say enough about these reels.

They can take a beating and work like the day you bought them. They are an amazing reel for the price.

Go to hear Sal. Do you have any problem with line memory/coil? This will be my smallest arbor reel and when I played with a few in the shop the line was coming off in loops. Could have been cheap line.

I have all regular arbor reels anymore, and when you apply backing to the reel, there's not much difference between regular arbor size and what were called "mid arbor" reels (which I noticed are all just large arbor, now, meh).

You give it a good pull through your hand to warm and stretch, and a few casts, and its just as straight as any other line.

The worst coiler of my collection is a line that spent a year in my car in the intense summer heat. Its hardened a bit, and takes more to sort of straighten, but it'll still work.

I think line coiling is another false impression people have to justify their toys. ;)

while stringing up the rod to fish, pull a bunch of line off the reel and have a buddy hold the leader end while you stretch the line a bit, takes the coils right out. I try to do that about every other time I fish. if no one is around to hold the line, just pull out 3 or 4 feet at a time and give it a good stretch with both hands.
straighten out as much as you think you'll be casting that day.

Back