orvis battenkill reel

J

jradan3

looking at two reels, both the same but one is conventional drag, the other is disc drag. both 20 years old. which would you prefer?!

What are you using if for? The only battenkill reel I have is about 20 years old. It is a rulon drag system 7 wt. I use it for steelhead and it is good for salt water as well.
Are they the same price? If so, then it is simply a matter of preference.
Do you anticipate catching many fish that will take line on you? Do you anticipate using a wide array of tippet sizes? If so go for the drag.
If you are looking for a reliable reel for the everyday trout scenario, go with the clicker.

it is a 5wt. i i will be using it for most trout applications. fishing a lot of central PA. and western PA. i will prob take it steelhead fishing too, dont really have the funds to invest in a ideal steelhead set up...the reel i have now is a reddinton 5/6 wt RF2 which was a gift and i think it will do for similar fishing as well...just concerned about the age. so from your advice it sounds like i should go conventional with this reel if i decide to get it

I don't think you can go wrong with either if they are in good shape. My drag system is going strong after all this time. If you do intend to use it for steelhead, I would lean towards the drag.

jradan3 wrote:
looking at two reels, both the same but one is conventional drag, the other is disc drag. both 20 years old. which would you prefer?!

Do you need a drag for the fish you're targeting?

If not, its one more thing to fail.

I have had more clickers break fail over the years than have drags fail. Nothing worse than a free spinning spool. Can't even store it without a tangle.

get the drag

and the age of the reels dont concern any of you guys? thanks guys

either of those reels will outlast any of us given the proper care. also, being an orvis product, parts will also be available for years to come.
2 brands of vintage reels I never hesitate to buy if the price is right, orvis and pflueger.

why don't you tie the line to your finger and dress in drag....You might have better luck. Spend some of that stimulas on a lampson

Lampson? browntrout must be the states comedian...

Yes, if you check his profile, he's posted exactly twice. Once about digging worms for fishing and one about being a transvestite. You must consider the source. I saw the reels you spoke of...if you live near Moon Twp just get them. If you don't, the 20 extra bucks for gas or shipping makes them too expensive. my 2 cents...

Back